Aerial Splitter

bitusa1

Standard Member
My last post was too long - lots of views no replies to this newbie. So I'll ask a 2 quickies here..

..what do you think of an aerial splitter, so I can run an aerial from it out of the wall directly into my new Sony W4500 and another aerial out of the splitter into my DVD Recorder, and a connection between the TV and DVD Recorder of just an HDMI cable?

So I will hopefully get my HD channels on the TV via it's inbuilt HD Tuner, bypassing the SD Tuner in the DVD Revorder. My present set up uses the Recorder as my input signal so I am NOT getting any HD channels.

Any loss of picture quality using a splitter?

Thanks for any help

Rgds
Rod
Perth
Australia

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Could work ok - not all splitters are born equal.
A passive splitter only works well if there's plenty of signal (due to each path having 3 dB or more loss) - but it's cheap and cheerful and keeps things simple.
An active splitter can overcome the loss problem- but in some situations may have too much gain - which necessitates adding in-line attenuators.
An active splitter with variable gain is the most flexible solution - but, of course, it needs a power supply (which can be via the coaxial cable).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

col996s

If your tv has an inbuilt HD tuner then surely it must be Freesat in which case you can't use a splitter?

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
I believe the latest Sonys do support HD over DVB-T.
The only one I know of with a satellite tuner is a Panasonic.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

bitusa1

Standard Member
Many thanks to all who replied.

The splitter works a treat. $7...

I am using standard arial cables from splitter in wall into the TV and DVD Recorder. Any benefit in going to RJ6 aerial cable do you think?

Now my TVs HD tuner works properly, I get to view all HD and Digi Channels. The ONLY thing I can't do is RECORD in HD as the HDD/DVD Recorder I bought only has a SD Digi tuner. Not to worry. I still record the Digi channels ok.

Rgds
Rod

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom