1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aerial Recommendation.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by WBC, Aug 11, 2003.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I'm looking to replace my TV aerial and haven't got a clue what to buy.

I don't have a problem fitting it, I just don't know what I'm after!!!!

I'm not overly worried about the aerial cost, its for normal terrestrial TV and needs to be fitted in the loft. Any ideas????

Thanks
    Stace :D

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your existing aerial works OK, leave it alone. If it doesn't work then you need to determine why. You can't simply guess!

Fman

3. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fman,

No one mentioned Guessing :confused:

My current aerial works, but the quality is utter bo******. When I moved into the house I had to remove all of the chimneys. The existing aerial that was on the roof was moved into the loft.

It has been wired with new CT100 cable and obviously new connectors.

I'm sure this tarnished aerial is not the best option for a loft installation. If its anything like the rest of the house when I bought it, It's 1000 yrs old :devil: , I'm sure there is something better suited to the type of installation I require.

All I need is some recommendations on what to buy please???? I'm not even sure what info you guys need.

I live near Portsmouth and I believe the aerial points towards the Isle of Wight. What other details do you need???

Thanks

4. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Stace,

The biggest and best aerials I have used are at CPC Here

Plenty of gain for a loft, (never installed one of these in a loft though.) The big DAT 75 is a beast at about 6 feet long.

Would be better installed outside on a wall bracket, if possible.

Mark.

5. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I used to live in Hedge End, and had loadsa stress getting a decent picture on all channels from the IOW transmitter..:(

Ended up going to the now defunct Tandy, and asked for the biggest one the had! Bloke dissapeared to storeroom sniggering, and returned with a box about four foot long.

Nope, too small mate...his reply 'its folded in half in this box'

Took it home grinning, had to assemble it up in the loft coz it wouldn't fit through hatch in one piece....result, still naff picture!
    Lofts are a problem, with signals bouncing around (and signal loss because of roof) It seems to be pot luck if you can get a really good signal, depending on the line of sight to transmitter.

Suggest a half decent one, and try in in different places in the loft, as this can make a differance to results, but best of all get it outside. You can get poles etc to attach it high up on the roof eaves for example.

Ended up getting $ky, but that was before freeview was around. Recently setup a Freeview for my Mom, and that worked with a 20 year old loft job.....

6. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Johndm

Thanks for the response. I've already got Sky but want the option of recording terrestrial from the bedroom if required.

I didn't relise I could get a bracket that I could bolt to a wall, looking around the area....everyone is on the roof!!!

Can you offer suggestions where to look for a wall bracket ???? CPC???

Thanks Again

7. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    This page on the Digi-Sat site has some very good pics of various brackets. They are near the bottom of the page. Prices look OK and you can order online. We've used Digi Sat for some large installations at work and they are very good. The site also lists lots of aerials.

8. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would say go for non-biological, definitely.

9. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose they were told the drinks are on the house:clap:

Diy stores such as B@Q sell aerials -low gain to high gain digital. I think you might be able to try one up in the loft and if it's not suitable then get your money back.

Worth a try?