aerial query

ultiali

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just moved into a new place and the only aerial lead coming into the house is a cable with what I'm pretty sure is a fconnector on it. Today I bought a f connector to coaxial adaptor but when I plugged it into my tv which has freeview built in it didn't show as having a signal.

Another theory I thought is that this is a joint tv and sattelite cable. that's backed up by a disconnected aerial lead just below the roof. I can't though see a sattelite dish up there.

If that is what it is, what do I need to do to get a signal from it. I'm happy to get someone round but would rather do it myself if its an easy job

Ta all. A

First and key question is what's on the other end of the cable. F connectors are now conmonly used for quality terrestrial kit as well as satellite.

An inspired guess :D, the aerial has a masthead amplifier which requires a power supply usually by the TV. These are very often use f connectors. The previous owners took it thinking it was an amplifier. Result you have a amplifier without any power, they have a power supply and no amplifier, you have an amplifier and no power to it. Look at the aerial if it has a little box on the mast close the aerial it's near certain the correct analysis.

Assuming the guestimate is correct power supplies are pretty standard.

EG

http://www.dastv.co.uk/shop/power-supply-units/Vision-Masthead-PSU-V232100GS.php

If there's no dish on the roof it could be for Cable TV.

Can you not ask the landlord/previous owner what it is ?

First and key question is what's on the other end of the cable. F connectors are now conmonly used for quality terrestrial kit as well as satellite.

An inspired guess :D, the aerial has a masthead amplifier which requires a power supply usually by the TV. These are very often use f connectors. The previous owners took it thinking it was an amplifier. Result you have a amplifier without any power, they have a power supply and no amplifier, you have an amplifier and no power to it. Look at the aerial if it has a little box on the mast close the aerial it's near certain the correct analysis.

Assuming the guestimate is correct power supplies are pretty standard.

EG

http://www.dastv.co.uk/shop/power-supply-units/Vision-Masthead-PSU-V232100GS.php

Brill thanks. Will check that out, but that kind of makes sense.

Of course, the same type of lead (F-connector) is also used by cable companies to feed their cable receiver boxes... (only applies in areas that Virgin Media cover, naturally).

Some TV sets and PVRs have an 'antenna power' option that is intended to supply such amplifiers. Worth checking for in the manual/specifications or on the installation and tuning menus of the devices you have.

I purchased a PSU yesterday but it didn't seem to work. With postgage it worked out cheaper to buy one off the shelf instead of ordering one online. I had to use a adaptor to conver the f type to coaxial to input into the psu, but wouldn't have thought that it would have made a difference as I would have had to use on the other end to get it into my tv.

The only other thing I thought it might be is that they had one cable for both sattelite and tv. That needs a splitter i believe, which they could have taken with them.

The only other thing I thought it might be is that they had one cable for both sattelite and tv. That needs a splitter i believe, which they could have taken with them.
No. With that system a filtered splitter is needed to use both satellite and TV at the same time but it will supply UHF TV to a connected TV OK.

You now need to methodically trace the wire to wherever it goes, and find out what (if anything) is on the end of it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom