Aerial problem

Lizzybif

Established Member
Reaction score
When I got Freeview installed I couldn't get the digital aerial installed as it made my analogue picture worse. This means I can't get all the Freeview channels.

I have now been told that I could have an amp fitted to improve the analogue picture. However, I get ghosting on analogue and am worried that the amp will make this worse and wondered if this is the case?

Would appreciate your help.

Thanks!
Liz

Hello Lizzybif,

No, the amp won't make the ghosting worse, although it may not improve things either.

A better aerial is always to be preferred to an amplifier. :lesson:

Can't help wondering though, why do you still need the analogue channels if you've got Freeview?

Thanks for that. I'll go ahead and get the aerial then! :smashin:

I need to watch analogue if I'm recording Freeview and want to watch a programme on another channel.

I'd like to ask you another question please although I have posted it in another thread but you might not see it there.

I am getting interference on Freeview in the form of wavy diagonal lines and I've been told the cables need dressed.
However, I noticed today that on Ext2 the picture is perfect and the sound is even better (usually watch Freeview on Channel 5)
Why wouldn't there be any interference on this channel and would it be possible to record from it? The video channel is Ext1 and the reception isn't so good on it and the playback picture is grainy.
The only other options I have for recording are L1, L2 and I think F1 and S1.

I have the Scart from Freeview connected to the TV as the VCR doesn't have an RGB input and I thought I would lose some picture quality.

Would much appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks!

Liz

Liz,

To be honest I can't actually picture your set up from your description, but that's probably me being a bit slow. :confused:

Can I cheat and leave it for 24 hours to see if someone else can help?

If you don't get an answer, I'll have a go tomorrow. :)

Incidentally, it's "the cables need dressing".

All this means is moving them about to see if the signals they are carrying are interfering with each other.

It's a favourite TG trick because it's FREE! :clap:

Lizzybif said:
I noticed today that on Ext2 the picture is perfect and the sound is even better (usually watch Freeview on Channel 5)
Why wouldn't there be any interference on this channel and would it be possible to record from it? The video channel is Ext1 and the reception isn't so good on it and the playback picture is grainy.
The only other options I have for recording are L1, L2 and I think F1 and S1.

I have the Scart from Freeview connected to the TV as the VCR doesn't have an RGB input and I thought I would lose some picture quality.

Would much appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks!

Liz

What make/model of freeview box do you have and how many scart sockets does it have?

Hi both!

I had a Eureka moment tonight whilst watching my new improved Freeview picture on Ext 2. Well I think I did!!!!

I think that Ext2 must be where the Freeview box is connected to the TV by RGB Scart and this is why I get such a good picture there whilst Channel 5 must be connected to the VCR by RF Lead and maybe it is the lead which is causing the interference. Does that make sense?
If so, what do I do about it?
If I get the DVD recorder which has the RGB Scart Input and connect the Freeview box to it does that mean I can record Ext 2 (though I'm not sure how to do that!!!) and watch Freeview through that as well?

The Freeview box is a Humax F2-1001T and, unfortunately only has one Scart.

I can't decide whether to get the new aerial with the amp for the analogue picture (by the way how does the amp work and will it affect Freeview as I believe too strong a signal on this isn't good?) or wait until after I've got the DVD recorder and get a new aerial plus another Freeview box.
I take it that if I get a different model of Freeview box I could connect one to the TV and one to the DVD recorder and so watch a different channel to the one I am recording?

Sorry to have rambled on and I hope you can follow this as I'm not sure I can!!!!

HELP. :lease:

Thanks
Liz

I Scart.

Lizzybif,

Still can't picture your system, but it sounds as if you're feeding your TV at RF (like an aerial) when you get the interference.

This is because the frequency you're using is clashing with a local transmission.

You should be able to change this frequency to a clear one, but it's much better to use a video feed (Scart) as you've discovered.

Concerning your other query, the only way to watch one Freeview programme whilst recording another is to have two Freeview boxes.

(You'll also need two top-up cards if you use those.)

Hope this helps. :)

Hello again

Well I put a new flylead in tonight and the difference is amazing! Much better picture and sound on all channels including anlalogue so that sorts that problem! :smashin:

The only problem I have now is not getting a good playback on recording TV programmes on my VCR.

Someone told me to connect the VCR 1 to Ext1 on my TV and put the Freeview Scart into VCR2. This made things a lot worse!

Then another person said I may have to change the video channel to another one but this involves retuning the TV.
It's all getting way too complicated for me.

The sound on my VCR is really good it's just the picture which is 'grainy' but the colours are good. Could it just be a problem with the VCR?
I was thinking of getting a DVD recorder anyway and wonder will this solve the recording problem?

I think I'm even dreaming about this now! :eek:

Liz

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom