Aerial out?

chr15barn3s

Standard Member
Could anyone tell me if either the standard or v+ boxes have a standard aerial output on the back?

I will hopefully be ordering 2 boxes tomorrow, 1 for downstairs and 1 for my bedroom however the 2 other bedrooms televisions are connected to the old analogue cable tv :)rolleyes:) by a distributor in the loft being fed by an aerial lead from the box. I need to keep this if I can.

Thanks

Chris

JohnnyMcD

Novice Member
Could anyone tell me if either the standard or v+ boxes have a standard aerial output on the back?

I will hopefully be ordering 2 boxes tomorrow, 1 for downstairs and 1 for my bedroom however the 2 other bedrooms televisions are connected to the old analogue cable tv :)rolleyes:) by a distributor in the loft being fed by an aerial lead from the box. I need to keep this if I can.

Thanks

Chris
Hi,

V+ box has a standard aerial in and out connection.

t11rmh

Novice Member
Here's the back panel, not sure what type of adaptor is required?
Standard male, female rf connectors
As I understand it the standard RF is disabled on a V+ box. On my old Samsung I had an adaptor which feed through the five terrestrial channels.

chr15barn3s

Standard Member
Thank you for the picture.

I will try phoning Virgin and see if anyone there can tell me if the rf out is disabled or not.

chr15barn3s

Standard Member
Ok... Virgin Media came round today and installed what we ordered. I have plugged an aerial lead into the tv out of the V+ box which then feeds a distributor linked to other tvs in the bedrooms. The TV out does not appear to be working as I have nothing on the tvs. The v+ box is connected by the supplied scart and not hdmi and I have tried both component and rgb settings.

How can I get the tvs working upstairs. Its a bit annoying as I have read on here that the TV out works and Virgin told me this themselves. Can I go through a VCR?

bamindy

Novice Member
Apologies, as this may seem obvious, but have you tried re-tuning your TVs? The tuning may be different through the Virgin box than through a regular aerial.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Bamindy

Ben

The TV out does not appear to be working as I have nothing on the tvs.
It should work. The V+ might be outputting on a different RF channel than your previous STB. Have you tried re-tuning your TVs?

Can I go through a VCR?
Yep, this is how I've got it set up. Connect a scart between the socket marked VCR on the V+ and AV2 on your VCR (Leave the VCR switched on to AV2 - unless you're playing back a video, etc). Then connect the coax from your distibutor to the VCR output, instead of the V+ :)

chr15barn3s

Standard Member
It should work. The V+ might be outputting on a different RF channel than your previous STB. Have you tried re-tuning your TVs?

Yep, this is how I've got it set up. Connect a scart between the socket marked VCR on the V+ and AV2 on your VCR (Leave the VCR switched on to AV2 - unless you're playing back a video, etc). Then connect the coax from your distibutor to the VCR output, instead of the V+ :)
Hmmm I cannot seem to get this to work either but then the VCR is rather poo. Im going to go to Maplins and buy a moderator and run it from the scart out and then send the signal that way. Hope this works :cool:

Ben

Should this not show 1-5 plus the channel on the box downstairs?
No, you'll only get the channel the V+ is set to doing it this way...

To get the five analogue channels you need to fit a splitter to the incoming cable *before* the V+. This is because VM still transmit the analogue channels unencrypted down the incoming cable, but the V+ doesn't 'pass them through'. Anyway, from the splitter - run one coax into the "Cable In" on the V+ as normal, and the other to the "Antenna In". The V+ should then combine analogue channels 1-5 with the cable channel the V+ is set to, then output this through the "To TV" socket :)

Costs around a tenner for a splitter & a couple of coax leads. Instructions on how to fit it can be found here (Sorry, I didn't realise this is what you were trying to do from previous posts - otherwise I would've mentioned it before you went to Maplins :suicide:).

radriderx

Something's not right here!

I ran two bedroom tv's off the V+ ariel out for over a year before getting a third stb.

I connected an outside ariel to the V+ box antenna connection and then the tv output coax to a booster box and then to three tv's and all worked fine, with analogue channels 1-5 and a single cable channel (same on all 3 telly's)

This only worked when the V+ was set for scart output - when set to HDMI or component the tv out was disabled.

In the end we (I :rolleyes:) got fed up with the missus wanting Hallmark or somesuch on the bedroom telly when I wanted to watch footy, so we got another stb.

Ben

Would the 'To TV' socket work then though? As it is not sending out the signal now.
Fair point. If you can't that or the VCR working, you'll just need to use a combiner instead (a splitter fitted in reverse). Into the combiner - you'll need to feed the coax that was going to go to the "Antenna In" & the output from your modulator. The single output from the combiner then feeds your distributor. A bit fiddly, but should work :)

I connected an outside ariel to the V+ box antenna connection and then the tv output coax to a booster box and then to three tv's and all worked fine, with analogue channels 1-5 and a single cable channel (same on all 3 telly's)
I'm assuming he doesn't have an outside aerial-? Could be wrong though.

chr15barn3s

Standard Member
Nope, no aerial on the roof. I will go to maplins shortly and buy the F connector and try it that way.

I have a v+ box in my bedroom aswell so I was thinking of swapping them round and seeing if my one works. Could it be a faulty box?

chr15barn3s

Standard Member
Ok I have tried swapping the boxes and I breifly got ITV but it has now gone. I have split the signal before it goes into the box. Could it be something to do with the way it is wired? We have a cable from the external box where the signal goes to going up the wall outside the house and into the loft where it is then linked to the aerial ( I didn't think we had one but we do) and the digital box connects into the aerial socket on the wall by a coax to F cable. Could this have something to do with the problem? Im really stuck now.

What is the combiner mentioned above?

chr15barn3s

Standard Member
All sorted now. I had a filter put in, in between the 'To TV' socket and the distributor in the loft. It is now fine and shows 1-5 plus the channel on the box :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom