Aerial & Electric gate - problem HELP

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by RobinDB, Feb 1, 2009.

1. RobinDB

RobinDB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Hi

I have an electric gate that is operated by remote control.

However the actuation of it has been problematic to say the least but only after the first 6 month.

It operates at 433mhz simple push to open button on remote, self closing.

Unit works at about 30 meters range without problem most of the time.

However it now every few days refuses to operate at more than about 2 meters, normally once only, then fine again for several days then same range problem again.

This happens on multiple remotes & all the batteries are good.

The installer has changed the receiver on the control box, then last week changed the whole control box with motor etc. But the problems still persist.

The only thing NOT changed so far is the photo cells & the backup battery for the motor.

Anyhow I was looking at the wiring for the aerial on the receiver and for some reason the installer has shorted the aerial pins (earth and signal together) at the control box. He has also fitted a short stubby piece of wire as an aerial.

The aerial terminal in the manual shows it being connected to a rf lead, then to a aerial /light unit.

My question is shorting out the aerial surly cannot be good for reception. ?

Any thoughts please.

thanks

2. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Robin

You are right. Shorting the GND and Signal together is'nt right. However if it was truely shorted to earth it would not work at all rather than giving you an intermittent fault.

Maybe the problem isn't actually the reciever. Do you have any other 433Mhz sources close by that could be interfering?

A mate of mine has a 433 transmitter as part of his home automation system. One day it decided to throw a wobbly and start constantly transmit junk. He managed to jam the central locking/alarms (and anything else 433) in all the cars within 100 feet of his house.

Just a thought.

3. RobinDB

RobinDB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Hi

I do have an alarm system which works at 433mhz as well.

This was in place before the gate was both are channel hopping etc.

The alarm system does a self diagnose at constant intervals and is not throwing up any faults at all. So if that was jamming I would get an error message. Also if any item fails the control box would tell me.

Nothing else is working at that frequency or direct division of it.

I must admit confused but still think the shorting of aerial does not help.
    Its the intermittent nature thats really confusing.

After the whole lot had been replaced it worked for 24 hours then twice the next day it locked up for about 20 minutes each time (2m range ok). At present working again.

There is no water ingress into system, its not sun or time related, no direct pattern.

thanks

Robin...