1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aerial Distance Question

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Alan111S, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I already have Freesat, but was toying with the idea of upgrading my aerial so I can get Freeview too. I already have a Daewoo Setpal DS608P box that I used elsewhere, sitting around doing nothing.

However, I currently have a Band A aerial and my local analogue transmitter is only 3 miles away. The nearest digital transmitters are 30 - 36 miles away. Black Hill is 36 miles away but is in the best position ( I have a large hill behind my house which would block the others). The muxes for Black Hill are in Band E. and my current aerial is Band A, so obviously a new aerial would be required anyway. Current aerial is in the loft, and the cable travels downstairs through various connectors then back up to the loft into a Wolsey 6 way splitter to feed RF output from sat box, VCR, TiVo etc. round the house.

So, the questions are:-

1) Could I pick up Black Hill from 36 miles away with a new aerial. The Digital predictor on Wolfbane says I would be out of range.....
    2) If so, should I get a wideband or Band E?
    3) Would I have to mount it outside on the chimney breast?
    4) Would I have to scrap my RF output system to minimize the joins in the cable?

Regards

Alan

2. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Here are some answers that will start you off.

1) In theory those distances are not OTT, but it will depend on the power of the transmitter rather than the distance.

2) I would suggest a wideband, but it depends what other transmitters are in the pick up range of the aerial, causing extra poor quality signalls to be received and possible interferance.

3) Mounting the antenna outside will alway inprove signal level and therefore signal quality.

4) If you move you freeview box to the same location as you sky box and system then there should be no reason to change anything. Only tricky thing could be choosing a free channel location that does not give interference.

3. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your answers, vex.

re 1) The Black Hill transmitter is 500kW ERP according to Wolfbane.
    re 4) I know about cross-channel interference. I wiould probably get it working without any other RF outputs powered up and then work from there.

Cheers

4. JohnW14

JohnW14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That Power output sounds like an analogue output rather than digital. Most DTT transmitters are about 10 to 50KW.

5. Image Retention

Image Retention

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm picking up sandy heath - all channels, 30 odd miles away, using a Vision V10-Super Log Periodic Aerial. Lots of people around here seem to have had those fitted o their chimneys here since I bought mine so they must be good.

6. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You're right - I originally put 20kW and saw on another site 500kW, hence the edit. It is actually 20kW for DTT and 500kW for analogue.

Alan

7. Alan111S

Alan111S
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Haven't seen that aerial on the web....did you get it online?