Aerial Direction And Tuner Receiver Poor Output On Smooth FM

Garrett

Last year bought a Marantz 6014 and after some messing about with aerial plugs got the tuner pugged in to an outside aerial and was even splitting the lead to a dedicated Tuner and could receive all the stations on the Marantz I wanted OK including Smooth. Then not using it for I long while came back and found it was not playing and even then not splitting the aerial feed and getting a direct aerial lead it would not pick it up.

I had the aerial in the past pointing away from the nearest broadcaster mast SW(used in the past for picking a far off local station). Anyway swung it round to point to it N to the nearest mast (don't know if its for radio only know its our local tv mast) and made no difference in fact on my dedicated tuner it can show signal strength and was the same albeit on DAB stations.
I went into the settings and switched auto tune to manual and got the station on the Marantz but was coming in faint.
I also tried the wire aerial and the signal if say lined the wire up N-S it gets best reception, so would turning the outside aerial W or E would it pick the station up better?

To say its Smooth I'm not getting Smooth reception and my clock radio wont pick it up either on FM, yet the car radio does not have any problems on FM picking it up. :confused:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39241

Is the Marantz connected to the internet?

Smooth is on HEOS / Tune In - you can add it as a smart select function, so one touch on the remote and it will switch on from standby and play the pre-programmed channel at a pre-programmed volume. No need for an aerial.

Garrett

Is the Marantz connected to the internet?

Smooth is on HEOS / Tune In - you can add it as a smart select function, so one touch on the remote and it will switch on from standby and play the pre-programmed channel at a pre-programmed volume. No need for an aerial.
Never used HEOS does it just use a wi fi connection to the net hub like a TV does or need some sort of account and can have stations stored?

D

Deleted member 39241

Never used HEOS does it just use a wi fi connection to the net hub like a TV does or need some sort of account and can have stations stored?
A WiFi connection is fine, you do need an account and the HEOS app to set it up and configure your favourites.

I did mine ages ago for a little Marantz slimline AVR in the kitchen, but must have been on an old phone as I don't even have the app installed anymore.

There are four smart select buttons, so I configured four radio stations for those, then it just works.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Location so that we can guess / check the transmitter(s) serving your location.
What frequency are you tuned to for Smooth on FM?

Smooth only has the following transmitters sites
Black Hill
Burnhope
Croydon
Drum Hill
Eston Nab
Fenham
Geddington
Gunthorpe
Irchester
Kendal
Keswick Forest
Newton
Sutton Coldfield
Waltham
Windermere
Winter Hill
Ofcom data says all are mixed polarised (except Keswick Forest which is Hp).

What sort of outside aerial is it?
Have you checked and re-made any of the Belling Lee TV plugs/sockets?

If the wire antenna T is best when arms (top of T) point N-S then that antenna is receiving from E-W direction(s).

Car radios are usually very sensitive and designed to blend down from stereo to mono working when signals are weak.

Garrett

Black Hill
Burnhope
Croydon
Drum Hill
Eston Nab
Fenham
Geddington
Gunthorpe
Irchester
Kendal
Keswick Forest
Newton
Sutton Coldfield
Waltham
Windermere
Winter Hill

If the wire antenna T is best when arms (top of T) point N-S then that antenna is receiving from E-W direction(s).

Car radios are usually very sensitive and designed to blend down from stereo to mono working when signals are weak.
Its just a plug to go in the FM aerial socket and about a yard of thin black wire with a eye on the end to probably fix it to something.

The outdoor one a 5 element one and the 4th a double row.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Location? Transmitter/Frequency? That will dictate pointing direction to the Smooth transmitter(s) and also for BBC Networks and other station's sites.

The 5 element will be made by Antiference from the description, with a claimed gain of almost 6 dB (ref a dipole). Acceptance angle is +/- 28 degrees.
Aerial polar response diagrams - A.T.V. Poles, Brackets, Clamps & Aerials may give you an inkling of how the 5 element aerial gain will vary with the direction it receives signals from.

It's most likely that, for a sudden change to happen there's a cable or connection issue. Water getting in where it shouldn't, causing corrosion.

Garrett

Black Hill
Burnhope
Croydon
Drum Hill
Eston Nab
Fenham
Geddington
Gunthorpe
Irchester
Kendal
Keswick Forest
Newton
Sutton Coldfield
Waltham
Windermere
Winter Hill

Just had a look at the map of them and the nearest one was where I originally had it pointing.:facepalm: The one I'm pointing at a sub transmitter and can actually see from the roof.
Will check the contacts on the aerial when the weather gets better.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom