aerial co-axial cable?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mobily, Jan 26, 2004.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

What sort of cable would you recommend to connect to the aerial socket in my new flat from a freeview box?

I was hoping some high quality co-axial cable would do the trick in boosting the signal and enhancing the quality of the picture.

I could of course purchase another aerial and have it fitted with a quality cable coming from it, but that would cost a lot and being in rented accommodation also makes things difficult.

I don't know if the aerial is a wideband one and if it isn't I will have to get a new one but I would prefer to avoid that at all costs.

Thanks for all your help,

James :)

2. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    James, a local TV shop should be able to tell you how good (or otherwise) freeview is in your particular location (or neigbours may help) The postcode checker will tell you if you're likley to need the wideband aerial. As for co-ax, it may seem like semantics, but good co ax won't boost any signal. It should prevent some loss/interference. If your getting a good signal try with the existing co ax, if not no amount of co ax will make it good. (the signal) If you've a good signal & aerial, but poor co ax it'll be worth replacing. I'm sure threads on here or other sites will tell you what spec to get.

3. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    B@Q sell lengths of double shielded satellite cable for about £5- £10 depending on length required.

4. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    You can buy a 100m reel of satellite co-ax for about £15 from Wickes/B&Q.
    The various RF connectors are a few pounds and don't require any soldering so for less than £20 you can make up your own cable to exactly the length you want.
    And if you move, you can re-use the connectors and make up a new length.

5. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
  6. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Under £15" sounds suspiciously cheap if it's a standard 100m reel of CT100 or equivalent. You might like to read the article I just found here.

7. THAD

THAD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Maplin sometimes have CT100 on sale www.maplin.co.uk . I have also got it from CPC www.cpc.co.uk who are typically good value especially for the connectors. I believe CT100 is what Sky recommend to be used. CT125 is the same but thicker and is good for very long runs. Its a bit harder to work with as it is not very flexible. You shouldn't bend either of them too much, and don't kink them. Make sure you get the correct connectors for the type of cable you get as the twist-on F connectors must match the cable diameter.

HTH

Dave