1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aerial Cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Donald, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Donald

Donald

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if someone could help me out with a semi technical query. I want to run a new aerial lead from my distribution box to my television. I have acquired some cable that is used by Sky installers. Can this cable be used for ordinary aerial or will it not be suitable. I remember reading somewhere about digital satellite cable being 50 ohms and I know normal aerial cable is 75 ohms. Is this correct and does this prevent the use of this cable?

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Works okay for me as it's the black stuff that Sky use that I have my whole house wired up with.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Satellite cable (FT100/125) is highly recommended for use with UHF signals as it is highly shielded. Works especially well for Digital Terrestrial signals. I have Black FT125 satellite cable and it improved my Digital picture greatly.

S

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well CT100 is an excellent aerial cable, but I have found some interesting things

1) keep the runs short and straight.

2) Keep away from main cables

3) don't kink

4) decent terminators

I get a good signal from a 30 mile away transmitter and with the aid of RF filter on the mains I get less breakup and sound dropouts on my TV

5. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I can also cofirm Sat Cable is highly recommended for the use you want to put it to....... mainly because of the low loss and extra screening it has...... the extra screening cuts out signel pick up from other coax runs you may have close by.

An informative site on this subject can be found at:-
    http://www.satcure.com/

Regards
    John C