Aerial cable

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by paiger, Oct 7, 2001.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm looking to replace my downlead with a new one as the old on is knacked and has many joins, causing artifacts and marginal signal problems. I'm sure a quality new one would help greatly. I have read that I need double shielded lead but I'm not sure where to get it from. Anyone have any ideas and info on what to ask for? Is there a code number for this type of cable? Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found this on Maplin site. It says it's FT100 Satelite cable.

Superior quality double-screened, ultra low loss coaxial cable where screening comprises a continuous copper-mylar foil beneath a conventional braided copper screen. 5-celled polyethylene insulator. Sheathed overall in black, or white PVC.
    Compatible with CT100 cable and connectors

Overall dia.: 6.6mm
    Nom. conductor area: 1mm2
    Nominal impedance: 751/2
    Attenuation per 100m: 6.4dB at 100MHz
    21dB at 1000MHz

Sold per metre (max. length in one piece, 100m) and on 100m reels.

Is this suitable for ITV Digital signals or do I need non-sattelite cable?

S

3. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Steve

A lot of my time is spent on Sat boards so I sometimes get confused. In your case I am assuming you are talking about Terrestial TV and here everything depends on the signal strength you get from your aerial, a good signal = good picture. The cable used for TV is plain old coax but if you go up a notch and use the FT100 then that is BEST for UHF. The next cable is BEST for SAT systems.

All you will need is the good old coax plug but use the metal ones. An F connector is used to connect the SAT cable to the sat receiver.

SANAP

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'm talking Digital terrestrial TV. I'm just looking for the best cable I can get, with one end hooked up to the aerial and the other direct to the ITV Digital STB. I get a reasonable signal at the mo but some muxes are a bit dodgy. The current downlead is 20 years old and joined in the loft and also at the socket in the living room. I figure on making one complete run to the telly with no joins and as it's a major DIY job, I want to do it right first time.

S

5. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    U have found the dogs b***lcks of a cable. Keep it straight as possible and your picture will be perfect.

SANAP

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. So it's OK for UHF pictures? Why do they say it's satelite cable? Is it because there is less tolerance for digital satelite than analogue UHF? I plan to route the cable directly from the aerial to the TV with no links whatsoever. I can use the old downlead for the FM radio on my amp with an FM aerial I have in the loft.

S

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me again. Found this as well on the maplin site. Is this better than the last one for UHF?

Uprated version of FT100 XS16S. 5-celled polyethylene insulator. Sheathed overall in black PVC. Compatible with CT125 cable and connectors.

Overall dia.: 7· 8mm
    Nom. conductor area: 1· 25mm2
    Nominal impedance: 751/2
    Attenuation per 100m: 4· 9dB at 100MHz
    18· 74dB at 1000MHz

Sold per metre (max. length in one piece, 100m) and on 100m reels. A 6mm F plug fits this cable.

Can you tell me what CT100 /125 and F plugs are? I assume CT100 are the standard UHF plugs you get in B&Q.

Sorry to be a pain in the arris.

Steve

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    CT100 should do

9. marta

marta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    I have recently buy a new television and a digital box. I have the aerial installed and I am trying to connect the aerial cable into the digital box, but the aerial cable plug does not fit into the digital box aerial input socket. The input socket it's "normal" but the cable socket it's quite strange. I guess that I have to buy an plug adaptor. My english is bad so could anyone tell me the correct term ? I would like to buy it online here Farnell | world-leading distributor of electronic and maintenance, repair and operations products. Any suggestion?
    :lease:

10. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Since you've resurrected an 8 year old thread I must first point out that CT100 (mentioned above) is no longer manufactured and was superseded by WC100 and WF100.

As for your question about a TV connector, we'd need to see a photo of what you are referring to. The main types in use here are the IEC connector (male and female) and the 'F' plug. Phono (RCA) connectors are used for video and audio connections.

Try Google: http://www.google.com/search?q=which+plug+to+use+f+plug+iec

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  11. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    There are probably two socket on the digital box (I assume it's Freeview) marked RF IN and RF OUT.
    Your aerial lead goes into the digibox first into RF IN and a short lead from the RF OUT socket goes to the RF (AERIAL) IN on the TV.
    The lead is usually supplied with the receiver and has a male plug on one end for the TV and a female plug that goes into RF OUT on the digibox
    The lead (if supplied) will look like the attachment

Attached Files:

12. marta

marta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your answer!
    Yes you are right! the aerial cable has an F type plug (as in the photo here How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable) but the digital box aerial input socket is a "normal" female IEC. So I have to buy something to fit in the middle :)
    How should i call it? I would like to buy it online in Farnell website but i can find it on the catalogue. Could you please help me again?

Thanks so much

Marta

13. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    If it has an F-plug connected (I take it that this is the lead that comes into the house?) then it sounds like a SATELLITE feed *not* from an AERIAL.

14. marta

marta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Fernandez,

I think you are right, not sure. The problem is that I have this dish outside my window and I don't know how to use it. I have a digital box and this problem with F plug and IEC plug. What should I do?

Thanks again

15. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    If it's dish, then it's no good for Freeview terrestrial TV:(
    The box requires the input from an adequate aerial - there is no other way.

You will be able to use the dish, provided it's pointing in the right direction, for FREESAT or SKY with the correct receiver *but not* Freeview.

16. marta

marta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again. So what I have to buy is a Freesat box instead of a digital box, is it right?

Anyway, I have already buy this digital box. I have tried to plug in to the wall Antenna (i guess it is the aerial (?) but the digital box can't find any channel....

17. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Yes, if you want to use the (hopefully functioning) dish you will need either a Freesat or Sky receiver.

Have you tried your TV directly into the aerial wall socket and what were the results?
    In all probability if it's a new TV it will have it's own built-in Freeview tuner as well as an analogue tuner.
    What make/model of TV is it and what make/model is the Freeview box and have you done a 'New Installation' (or whatever it's called in the menu?)
    Is this rented property with a communal aerial? If so, have you asked the neighbours what their Freeview reception is like?

18. marta

marta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again you are right.
    I have tried my tv directly on the wall socket and nothing.. I can only receive 4 channels. I have tried the same using a aerial amplifier and nothing, again only 4 /5 channels. Yes. it is a rented property with a communal aerial. I have just asked to a girl who leave near and yes again you are right.. she has the same dish and she bought a freesat box.
    I guess I should buy something like it, isn't it?
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5321557/Trail/searchtext>FREESAT.htm

I think you are right.. the Tv I bought has built in freeviewtune. Both are Alba brand: this is the television

Buy Alba 16in HD Ready Digital LCD TV. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

and this is the digital box

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5321519/Trail/searchtext>DIGITAL+SET+TOP+BOX.htm

Thanks again

19. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Seems like a Freesat box is the solution then

Good luck:)

20. marta

marta
    Standard Member