aerial cable switching box?

mobily

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have tried using a splitter to connect an aerial lead to my freeview box as well as to my digital radio. Amazingly the rooftop aerial gives a really strong reception for my digital radio. However the splitter just seems to half the strength of the signal.

I was wondering whether there is any product out there similar to a scart switching box but an aerial switching box. Where if I wanted to listen to the radio I could just flip a switch rather than pulling cables out of the wall socket every time.

Rather than having 50% going to freeview and 50% going to digital radio when I only want to use one at a time I would like 100% dedicated to the product I am using at the time.

Thanks for any help anyone can give,

James :)

first of all mate are you using your normal aeriall for digi radio?
best way is to install dab aerial for digital radio and normal tv aerial for freeview then diplex the cables from both together with a diplexer basically puts both signals onto same cable then use a diplexed plate at your viewing location so that it splits signals to dab and freeview this way you wont get any signal loss on either and you will have both connected :cool:

Originally posted by mobily
Hello all,

I have tried using a splitter to connect an aerial lead to my freeview box as well as to my digital radio. Amazingly the rooftop aerial gives a really strong reception for my digital radio. However the splitter just seems to half the strength of the signal.

I was wondering whether there is any product out there similar to a scart switching box but an aerial switching box. Where if I wanted to listen to the radio I could just flip a switch rather than pulling cables out of the wall socket every time.

Rather than having 50% going to freeview and 50% going to digital radio when I only want to use one at a time I would like 100% dedicated to the product I am using at the time.

Thanks for any help anyone can give,

Try a 2 set booster from argos or diy stores. One possible drawback though is they amp noise as well as picture resulting in visual break up.

Hello,

I am using my normal aerial for digital radio and it gives an amazing reception. I live in rented accomodation and it wouldn't be feasible to install a seperate aerial for dab. I also believe there is no need for this because of the great reception I can already receive.

Surely someone somewhere must have invented an aerial switching box?? If not I might patent the idea myself ;)

Thanks,

Mobily is right !

I also run my DAB tuner off my TV aerial with excellent results.

Instead of using a switch to change between the TV and the DAB tuner, I use a powered splitter, similar to Maplin p/n RT68Y.

:)

Thanks pentode,

I used a splitter before and that totally messed uo the signal, does this plug in booster offer the same high quality signal to both devices?

Thanks,

It should do. I don't think this unit splits the signal for FM/TV.

The unit that I have is slightly different & has a gain adjustment knob on it (sorry, I can't remember the make).

If you really want just a switch, then have a look at Maplin QQ80B

P.S. I don't work for Maplin, nor am I on commission!

yes i am an aerial rigger,and there are 2 types available a cheap white plastic switch that screws to the skirting board and a very good quality one which is made for satellite for switching between to dishes it has f connectors on it with 2 switches (A and B) so you will have to change your plugs or fly leads,the box is also fully screaned price is about £12RRP i have used these lots and are very good

contact the local aerial guy and he should order one for you
the switch is in a black plastic box

totaly agree with simon mate,

i obviously didnt realise your full cicumstances mate i was just trying to give my own opinion:D

If your using 1 of those cheap y splitters youre probably gonna lose 4dB down each leg if not more

Thanks for everyones replies,

I'm sorry if I came across as a bit offhand morphy, I really appreciate any help that people can give me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom