• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

aerial booster problems

Chrispick1977

Novice Member
Hi I had a phillex booster box in my loft but I couldn't get the magic eye to work for sky so my local satellite shop sold me a wolsey lte 4 way irpass amplifier but although I can see the magic eye is working the picture is awful whereas with the old booster the eye didn't work but the picture was awesome

logiciel

Begin by changing the channel output by the Sky machine's RF and the TV's tuner.

Chrispick1977

Novice Member
If you mean try changing the rf channel I've tried about 10 different ones and can't get a picture on any apart from 68. And I've tried retuning my tv to no avail.

logiciel

Each time you change the frequency on Sky you change the TV to the same frequency.
Try it direct without the amplifier or anything else in the circuit.

MartinPickering

Prominent Member
Channel 68 should be fine, since no transmitters are using it now.
If it gave a good picture previously, there should be no need to change the channel so leave it as it was.

Either the amplifier gain is too high (not very likely) or you have a bad connection between it and the Digibox. However, it's difficult to make a diagnosis from your vague "the picture is awful" description.

Is the picture "awful" on all the TVs? Please describe what you actually observe, using standard terminology such as "horizontal line every centimetre" or "picture grainy".

MartinPickering

Prominent Member
Well, if I knew what information....

"Snowy picture" is indicative of a bad connection or of a Freeview multiplex on the selected UHF channel. But there is no Freeview multiplex on ch 68.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Well, if I knew what information....

"Snowy picture" is indicative of a bad connection or of a Freeview multiplex on the selected UHF channel. But there is no Freeview multiplex on ch 68.

Particulary if the coax cable isn't the best quality the additional losses associated with the higher frequency can affect the picture. I have an already installed thin coax from lounge to kitchen, it delivers OK pictures on low UHF channels and very poor ones using 68 even with no rf in connection on the modulator.

Just because there is no Freeview content on 68 doesn't mean there's no source of rf on 68. The spectrum is used by 4G telephony and of course there's also the possibility of harmonics from a close up transmitter using an entirely different frequency.

MartinPickering

Prominent Member
Very true, although, without the 4G letter, it's unlikely that 4G interference is strong enough to be a problem. But you can make sure by fitting a 4G filter. You can then use channels 61 - 68 with impunity.

winston2010

Prominent Member
Just because there is no Freeview content on 68 doesn't mean there's no source of rf on 68. The spectrum is used by 4G telephony and of course there's also the possibility of harmonics from a close up transmitter using an entirely different frequency.

4G does not extend up to ch 68. Any harmonics from nearby transmitters would be at an extremely low level and should not cause problems. I agree poor cable would cause problems but the OP said it worked previously.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom