Aerial *almost* good enough for freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Jamp, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Jamp

Jamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I've got a Humax F2-Fox freeview box and live in a block of 4 flats with a shared, amplified, aerial. Unfortunately the aerial is in the communal bit of the loft above the stairwell which means it has to look through both the roof and the wall :rolleyes:. It's just the standard brown cable that comes around 20m from the amplifier to my wall socket where is is pretty tatty but I've tried to trim to give a clean connection to the socket. Then I have a Profigold rf lead to the digibox.

Predicatbly enough, my tv signal is pretty poor. Analogue is dreadful, unwatchable sometimes. On freeview I can receive most of the channels, but not all at once. I have to reposition the (very high quality!) rf lead to get the BBCs, there is another position where ITV and C4 work but the BBCs don't. Moving the rf lead also has an effect on the analogue signal quality.

This makes no sense to me, surely my decent rf lead is one of the strongest links in my chain, why does it appear to be what's letting me down? I've tried at least 4 different cables, varying from cheapo Wilko ones to the Profigold. All give different results, the latter being marginally the best.

Any ideas what I can do to get more/all of the channels working at once? Should I solder the brown cable to the socket connectors? Installing shielded cable from the amplifier to my socket seems the next logical step but would be a bit of a pain to do neatly.

It would be much less frustrating forking out for a decent pro aerial install if I didn't feel so close to getting the current setup to work properly!

Sorry for the long thread, any advice would be appreciated though. :)

Ben

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    i would get your local CAI guy out and see what he thinks also speak to building managemnt and neighbours and see if you get a new digital ready system put in...

3. Jamp

Jamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply. I've been fiddling around with this and have managed to get it sorted without spending any money! I soldered the lead from the aerial to the wall socket which improved things a little, but what really did the trick was rearanging all my cables to keep the aerial fly lead away from everything, partiularly power cables. With it held in one exact position, masking taped to the wall (out of sight thankfully!), I can get all the channels with only very occassional break up when traffic passes. I still don't understand how my posh cable can still appear to be the weak link, but as I've found a way around the problem I don't mind any more!
    :)