1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aerial Alignment?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by WBC, Jan 11, 2003.

1. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spent the last few hours installing a new aerial and new cabling in my parents home, they are very happy with the outcome.

I roughly knew which way to point the aerial but picture quality boiled down to guess work.

For future reference, what tool do you use that would give you the exact direction to point the aerial???

Where would I get one, are they expensive???

Thanks
    Stace :D

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A compass?

From about £3 dependent on size, quality and shop profit margin.

A professional would use a UHF signal meter. These start at about £300 and are sold by a company on the south Coast (I forget exactly but saw the advert in TELEVISION magazine in WH Smiths).

Out of interest, the more elements an aerial has, the more "directional" it is and the more difficult to align accurately.

Also a highly directional aerial is likely to give more problems on windy days as it gets blown off alignment by a degree or two.

Satellite dishes are a hundred times more critical of course, as the satellites are about 24,000 miles away, not 24!

Fman

Edit: BTW I hope you used double-shielded (satellite) cable for your aerial in anticipation of Freeview when analogue TV gets switched off!

3. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Edit: BTW I hope you used double-shielded (satellite) cable for your aerial in anticipation of Freeview when analogue TV gets switched off!"

Naturally!! :D
    Stace