Aerial advice please!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by tutu, Jul 24, 2004.

1. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am going to make the switch to freeview this week with the arrival of my new IDTV. But, as it stands I have not installed a aerial yet in my flat. I have access to the loft (which is blocked off from the other flat). So.. the plan is to install a aerial!

http://www.dtg.org.uk/cgi-bin/pcode/coverage_aerial.pl?postcode=WS116EQ&txs=Sutton Coldfield&ant=NO

The website mentions that I need a "Group E/W Horizontal" Aerial. I am not what that means - do I need a simple aerial or high-gain tv aerial. I think I read that correctly!

To add further confusion to the matter the Sutton Coldfield is a Group BH.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/tx_details/tx_midlands.htm

I have looked in Argos and Wilkos:

one from argos that is £8.49 (10 element Yagi) - cat 535/6443
    one from wilkos for £8.99 (18 element Yagi)
    the other from argos £19.99 (32 element, high-gain with X-shaped elements). - cat 534/1829

Which one do I go for? Would it matter if I get the high-gain model? According to what I have read the high-gain could cause e.g. ghosting if it is not necessary - but that is the opposite of what the BBC mentions - the X shape reduces ghosting?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/analogue_tv/aerials.shtml

I would provide links to the aerials but the argos website is having a bad day.

PS I have already purchased the high-gain, but I can return it tomorrow as unused. It doesn't mention what type it is other than View+ DMX UHF High-Gain TV Aerial.

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Am assuming these are loft aerials that you're quoting?

3. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes they can be mounted in a loft!

Come some one must know about this simple problem.

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The high gain should be OK if you are mounting in a loft...it's not the ariel that causes ghosting - it's signal rebound, so make sure you have as clear a line of sight to the transmitter as you can.
    Being in the loft may require a mast head amp as well...and make sure you mount the ariel horizontal as well, with the X's flat and the reflector at the rear of the ariel flat, not upright.
    TBH, it may be easier to leave it to an expert, someone who is CAI qualified. Installing ariels in lofts is a dark art...

5. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for the input. Would like to keep it as cheap as possible, not going to pay for installation - going to move in the next six months hopefully.

What is a mast head amp? So should I return this for a 18-yagi or just use the one I purchased.. argh the decisions.

If I remember correctly, my parents TV did have ghosting (we was unable to find the source), and they used a 18-yagi aerial.