1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AegoP5 Speaker Placement?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Peterr_ibg, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Peterr_ibg

Peterr_ibg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I am a complete novice to Home Cinema and, after reading some reviews and negotiating with the wife ( who would not accept any speakers on stands ) I ordered and have just received my Acoustic Energy AegoP5 system.

Everything seems to work ok but I am stumped as to where to position the rear surround speakers.

My room shape is not as shown in the manual. The Aego5 manual shows placing the rear speakers at the rear of a square room with a sofa nicely in the centre of the wall facing a similarily centred TV. My room is not square but is a 22' x 11' rectangle and the TV has to be in the corner and the furniture can not be moved ( non negotiable with the wife this time )

----------------------------------------
    | ---------------- Sofa ----- --Chair |
    | - ---------------------------------- --|
    |Chair---------------------------------|Patio Doors
    |---------------------------------- -S- |
    |-----------------------------S-- TV--|
    --------------------------------------
    Door

S = Speaker

As most of the viewing is done from a chair closest to the TV or the sofa, where should I place the rear speakers? I have tried placing them on the left hand wall, , but this makes the rear effects appear distant, and everthing comes from the right.

The sub woofer is on a shelf that is part of the TV stand.

Any advice would be most welcome

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    If you sit on the sofa mostly, place them "above the letter R in each word of chair" ie. along the long wall behind the sofa. You'll get best sound sitting in the centre of the sofa. You'll have to experiment a bit with placement L/R, but getting the speakers in a basic rectangle shape is best....

s----------------s
    ..........sit *

.............s-----TV------s

I'd also be tempted to move the front right speaker further away from the telly and closer to the middle of the room. Open up the front soundstage a bit more.

3. Peterr_ibg

Peterr_ibg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for your help

Tried your suggestion and it has totally changed the sound.

Guess I'll be spending the next few nights fine tuning the placement. But how will I know once it is right, or is it down to personal preference?

Any suggestions as to any titles that particularly show of the capabilities of 5.1 or DTS once I've found the right set up?

4. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget to waste (err, I mean invest) hours messing about with delays and individual channel volumes!

It made a big difference with my Aego system, it suddenly just clicked and sounded much better!

I'm sure there's lots of threads about good demo discs, but Monsters Inc is good, as is Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

By the way, I added a cheap Yamaha sub to my Aegop5, and it makes a world of difference!