1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aego P5 Speakers & Stands

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ianjo, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Ianjo

Ianjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using this forum for some time now to decide what speakers to purchase for my first plunge into H/C. I was going to purchase FS1's but the general concensus is that they are not quite up to scratch.

Aesthetics are inportant (or WAF acceptability as it appears to be called;) ) & had narrowed to Mission Cinema 70 or Aeg P5 but having searched around with both now being discontinued the Aego's are ones that I can locate without difficulty. Now my first question is one of speaker placement for the centre speaker as this has to be on top of the TV - what do people who own this system use to secure it - I have read it can be blu tac?

Also I have searched the forums but cant find any examples of a rectangular shaped room with the layout as mine 21ft long by approx 14ft wide:-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B ----Window---- /Patio Door / R
    o * /-----Settee------/ a
    o d
    k *
    "
    Fire ------------------------ TV*
    "
    c * B
    a o
    s * /------Settee------/ o
    e {Rad } -----------------sesack
    -------------------/door/-------------------------------------------------

Suggested speaker placement shown as *

What are peoples suggestions/advice (I cannot change the room layout!!!!)

Thanks for your help

Ian:smashin:

2. Ianjo

Ianjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but the room layout for some reason is not reflecting what I have typed in so I will redo once I have got back!!!:(

3. Ianjo

Ianjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets try again!

Speakers are shown in black (obviously:suicide: ) - what are peoples thoughts? At present the intention is to use stands (Alphason ) as recomended by AE for both front & rear with centre speaker on the TV itself.

Attached Files:

4. Ianjo

Ianjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone??

5. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine is under tv

Attached Files:

6. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Ianjo

i had a listen to these at the Manchester show and they did indeed have them secured by Blutack.

So on top of the TV should be ok. I'd see if you could move your fronts a little further to give you a wider sound stage. How big are the back bookshelves? Don't see why you couldn't mount the rears on the shelf as they are so small. The stands wont be in the way of the shelves then.

I have tried rearranging things to see if they could work easier (i know you said it couldn't be shifted, but hey...). The rears could be then wall mounted above the patio doors. You could then get the fronts a little wider apart. Bingo.

Just a thought...

Chris

Attached Files:

7. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd have to say that unless you could change your seating around so that at least one sofa is facing the televisioin you wont get the proper use of your surround sound system, as at the moment you'll be sitting with one ear facing the screen and one facing away and this will ruin the whole point of having a front L&R, centre and rear surrounds as you wont experience the wraparound sound effects, even stereo wont sound right?? :confused: :thumbsdow

Unless of course you'll be lying down the length of the sofa's in which case you would probably be better off widening the speaker positions front and back as they'll be too close to your ears eg the left hand sofa has the left rear right by your head and same on the other side.

8. Ianjo

Ianjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies:-

Chris - thanks for the blu tac update!! I wont be able to mve t about as you have suggested but te bookshelves are about 6ft high so no probs with fitting speakers on them.

rscott - i hear (no pun intended) what you say & will probably push one of the settees around to face the TV when watching a film. However, you have already hit the nail on the head as I do tend to lie on the settee facing the TV (yes I am a lazy sod but hey its comfortable;) ) so the suggestion to widen the speakers would appear to be fair. The rear speaker is about 5ft away from where I sit (its just the scale of my picture) so its not exactly next to my head.

Thnaks to you all for your suggestions & any further thoughts gratefully received:smashin:

Ian

9. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Ian

One thing to work at will be to get the balance right between all 5 channels. Especially as you have such a large room you don't want either the fronts or rears to be overpowering. You can try by ear or use a sound (SPL) meter to balance all the channels, including the sub.

Chris

10. Ianjo

Ianjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris

I have read about these on other postings - are they 'easy' to use & do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations as to where to buy one from?

Thanks again

Ian

:smashin:

11. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Ian

Try these guys;

Cornwall electronics

And do a search on SPL meter. I think they are fairly easy to set up. Do a search on SPL meters on the forum.

Basically you use your amp's test tones and measure the volume on each tone on each speaker relative to each other. Then adjust each speaker level so they all sound the same at the listening position. That way all the effects will sound coherent.

Because of your seating arrangement some people will have a better surround sound than others. So make sure you do the set up from your chair ;)

chris

12. Ianjo

Ianjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Chris - I will get searching now - thanks for all your advice with this.

Ian:clap:

13. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
  14. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ianjo,
    Out of interest, did you get the speakers alone, or the processor as well. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to think on the speakers, especially, when you've got it all up and running.
    Cheers,
    Rainbow6