Aego M - so muffled - are they faulty?

thelawnet

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am extremely disappointed in my new speakers, and am wondering whether they are faulty.

I currently have them set up with subwoofer on carpet beneath my feet. Satellites I have moved to window and bookshelf, about six and four feet from me respectively.

I am currently listening to 'A Day In The Life' by The Beatles, at 02:20, the passage after the ringing alarm clock beginning 'Woke up fell out of bed", and the vocals sound like they are in a tin can, being so muffled.

Is this correct for these speakers?

Is there any way they are faulty? They are not nearly bright enough.

There's no obvious fault with them in terms of sound not coming out of the speakers, just generally muffled-sounding sound.

The bass is set to the lowest level (otherwise it's stupidly thumping), and the MP3s are generally 320kbit VBR played through Windows Media Player with no graphic equaliser. Listening to 'With The Beatles', the speakers do not sound faulty in any way I would say.

I'm not that easy to please, I guess, I'm not going to post adulatory reviews of £30 5.1 speaker systems, but comparing the Aego M to my Woolworths Micro System (yes really), with the cables plugged into the aux of that, although the speakers noticeably lack bass in comparison, the music feels far more natural, in that I don't really notice the speakers. It's all very well to say of speakers that you can pick out the instruments, but with these I certainly don't feel any sense that I'm picking out instruments and voices in the song, but just that I'm listening to the speakers themselves.

If they are not faulty, what can I do to get a sound that doesn't suffer from these defects?

Have you checked the sound settings of your sound card as this could be having an adverse effect on the overall sound. The sound settings of your card are not controlled through media player. Also try them on another source, a handy radio that is lying around with a headphone jack on it..

Have you checked the sound settings of your sound card as this could be having an adverse effect on the overall sound. The sound settings of your card are not controlled through media player. Also try them on another source, a handy radio that is lying around with a headphone jack on it..

I had "Bass Boost and Low Frequency Protection" on in the Windows speaker settings.

Turning this off improves things A LOT.

Songs such as "Mr. Tambourine Man" etc. now sound much less muffled.

Thanks for prompting me to check....

Better now, not sure they are amazing, but much better.

The problem is you are using a sound card built into the motherboard, if you had a quality Creative sound card the difference is huge.

Creative? Quality? All subjective!;)

It was a tongue in cheek fanboy comment.:) For gaming and for the money there is probably nothing better. If it is for music I would be inclined to go with other cards though. My preference would be M-Audio but again, its all subjective.:)

I have always thought (except the Live! range) Creative hardware to be very good. Their software is shocking, though.

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom