1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aegis Evo series in a small room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Lithian, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was originally planning on buying a set of mission m7 speakers. the m74i, m7ds and 2 m7c2's to plug into my nice new Marantz SR4300

But then i found a few £100 in an old bank account.

Since i had already bought the TV, didn't need anything more than the 4300 had to offer and had a small budget injection the obvious answer was buy better speakers.

So after searching the forums it appeared that the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo's were something to look for. So i put on the old research hat. Yep, i am happy to go with the AE Evo's over the missions... except for one thing. Rear Speakers.

The room i am in isn't so much small (3.3m x 4.2m) as cluttered -- big bed, computers, tv, books, etc. -- and this means that i wont have that much space behind me. So i was quite happy with the concept of the di-pole speakers that i could get from mission.
    The idea being that it dosn't matter exactly where they are or where they are pointing, just sorta to my left or right.

But AE dont have dipoles, just monopoles, so my option would be to put either the evo 1's or compacts as my surrounds (and maybe the rear as well, not sure whether to use a centre or normal speaker)

But anyway.

Can anyone tell me if the evo 1's are good as surrounds?
    Should i use a different brand to get dipoles?
    Are there any good resources on the net to tell me about where to place rear speakers? (i always assumed it was behind, but the sr4300 manual says beside or slightly infront of you)

I am nearly there, just need speakers and cable then i have my little bit of HT goodness.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I'd be a bit careful using big, rear ported floorstanders in a cluttered bedroom. You may end up with lots of uncontrolled boom at higher volumes. I would prefer to use smaller bookshelf or sat speakers and a nice little sub, so you can tune the low-end to better suit your enviroment.

3. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, it has been considered, ta for the suggestion.

3 sets of evo1's all round would be great i am sure. But the arangement at the front of the room is all right, it had a couch which i removed to put the tv in.

There is plenty of space for the front soundstage so i have the space to move speakers around and away from the walls and generally play around with it.

I appreciate that i am a bit of a beginner here and i may be wrong with that, but it does mean that i will have some great big speakers up front :D

The problem i am seeing is that my seating position is very near the back of the room and i am under the impretion that using speakers like the evo1's would need some distance between the listener and the speakers.

If there needs to be a lot of space (more than a metre) directly behind me i would need to go for something like dipoles, if the speakers can be placed to the side i should be alright.

and then we have the rear speaker... :confused: I am really not sure what of the evo range i would put there.

4. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends a bit on where you main listening position is. I replaced my rear 1's mounted on stands with compacts mounted higher up against the wall tilted downwards towards the listening position.

I found that the Compacts are much better surrounds. It has to be noted that my main listening/viewing poisiton is quite a bit from the rear, about 2meters.

If you listening position is directly against the rear wall. I would place the Compacts on the side walls towards the listening position.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

5. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta for the advice Jean-Paul. Certainly worth considering, especially as i would be saving quite a bit of cash on stands if i wall mount them.

hmm, tricky one this. Especially as i just got a phonecall saying that my tv would arrive on Tuesday, just need to get the speakers now so i am anxious to grab some.

I will play around with my room and a measuring tape and see exactly how much space i can grab.

One of the areas i havn't researched enough is what to use as a rear centre, so i will do so and come back to this.

6. AmIEvil?

AmIEvil?

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the rear centre i'd suggest using another Aegis Compact, instead of an AE Centre or Evo One. This will keep the rear channels all tonally matched.

They are available from HiFiBitz for £50 per speaker.

You wouldn't have to worry to much about finding space for the rear centre then.