1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE700 & X-Box PAL-60 Problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jamesgrahamuk, Nov 22, 2004.

1. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my consoles (PS2, GameCube and X-Box) hooked up to my projector via Quintro+ RGB scart switchbox.

60Hz modes on the PS2 and GameCube work perfectly well but I have a problem with the X-Box. If I set the X-Box to PAL-60 mode any game that tries to set that mode produces a garbled display.

Does anybody else have this problem?

2. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
    RGB from the xbox is very poor in comparison to the ps2 and GC.
    could be that.

if your xbox is modded, try component.

3. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny, I had a near identical problem and was considering making a post about it. Not an xbox in my case (box is in NTSC mode) but a PAL Dreamcast. When putting Bangai-o into 60hz (over s-video) the picture is all screwed up.

I was curious how when I selected s-video it actually said 's-video auto'. I want to go home now and see if pressing the button a few more times changes it to 's-video PAL' or whatever, because I think it's this auto detection that can't handle PAL 60.

4. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beecee,

I know that RGB from the X-Box is comparitively poor compared to the PS2 or GameCube but that is not what I am describing. The picture is garbled and cut-up in a way that would suggest that the PJ thinks that it is receiving and NTSC-60 signal when, in fact, the X-Box is putting out PAL-60.

I believe that the 60Hz modes on the PS2 and GameCube are actually NTSC which would explain why I don't see this problem with those consoles.

Darwock,

There doesn't seem to be a way of selecting the TV system as I also wondered about the AUTO message. There is a TV System item in the menu but it is blanked out and unselectable. Let me know if you have any success...

5. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm...

The manual does state that you should be able to change the TV System setting. Buggered if you can though! As I said, it is blanked out.

How about you, Darwock?

6. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm running X-Box/PS2/Gamecube through a AE700 with a 105" screen, and found component the best route. The X-Box/Gamecube are component and look so much better than the PS2, which never gets played with anymore(there is that much difference). Many PS2/Gamecube games play in a higher res. True Crimes on the X-Box looks amazing in 720p.

7. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great - but I am running plain vanilla flavoured UK PAL model consoles. Not imported, chipped or modded.

The point here is - can I get the PJ to recognise PAL-60 from the X-Box?

PS. True Crimes is a shockingly p*** poor game. ;)

8. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My xbox on 525p gives the horrible green/purple stripes effect anyway. Although it does look nice on 720p I agree.

Won't be able to play around with mine until tonight.. one thing is for sure though, component cables are not an option with the Dreamcast!

9. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    there is an option to change between ntsc and al sorts of other picture types in one of the options tab. I found it and was playing with what they all meant, only one gave a picture that was understandable and 'auto' chose it by itself so i left it on that.

10. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - I have just found that option but it is only selectable when no source is being input. Changing the TV System here seems to have no effect because as soon as I switch the X-Box on the PJ switches to SCART: RGB and then defaults to exactly the same mode as before.

Strange...

11. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the Service Menu whilst flicking through my consoles I see that the 60Hz modes on the PS2 and GC output a 525i signal whilst the X-Box (in 60hz mode) outputs 625i. Which pretty much confirms my suspicions.

So, does the 700 not actually support PAL-60 after all?

12. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does - I just got somewhere, but don't ask me how. First off, I read in the manual that TV system can only be changed via s-video or video inputs.

I started it up and tried this out, it can but PAL 60 is not listed. it's got PAL, PAL-M and PAL-N as well as some NTSC modes and SECAM.

Anyway I put Bangai-o into 60hz mode again - this time the screen went wonky for a split second and then came up more or less correctly (on the auto setting still). I say 'more or less' because the top 10% or so of the picture was flickering with a greenish tint - but at least it didn't look like a badly solved jigsaw puzzle.

I scrolled through all the TV system options again, and they all look awful, bar the original 'auto' setting. NTSC has everything in the right place and is stable but the colours are all wrong. Auto has the flicker.

I'm confused, as the manual lists PAL 60 but it's not there. Attempting flicker adjust did nothing.

I know it's not ideal but would it be possible to try connecting your xbox by s-video in order to try changing these settings?

13. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, at least you're getting somewhere...

I'll try it out.