1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE700 - worth getting HDMI DVD player

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by the_oldhams, Feb 3, 2005.

1. the_oldhams

the_oldhams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just got a new AE700 having upgraded from an AE300 (actually panasonig gave it to me after numerous faults with AE300 !) and was wondering whether people think it is worth upgrading my DVD player to one of the new upscaling HDMI players like Panaonic S97 or Samsung HD945. I have currently got a decent Pioneer 656 (non progressive scan) but to be honest the image still looks very good to me. I am concerned about spending say £250 on DVD and HDMI cable and then finding it is no better or in fact worse - cropping, macroblocking etc. Is there really much difference getting one of these upscaling DVD players as internally the AE700 has to upscale anyway and is the scaler on the DVD that much better ? I have seen something about feeding interlaced rather than progressive to AE700 actually produces a better picture .

The other reason I am concerned is that with the advent of HD DVD and Sky going high-def next year would I be wasting my money . I also use the projector quite a lot for watching stuff ok SKY+ including movies and there is no way to improve the picture here except for buying really expesnive scale like Iscan.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Firstly, if you do not go HDMI, buy a decent progressive scan DVD deck. When I owned an AE300 the PQ improved massively when I bought a decent DVD deck that did the deinterlacing.

As for buying Iscan etc, check out the classifieds here, they are often knocking around for £200 - £300. Saving quite a bit.

Cap :)

3. the_oldhams

the_oldhams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Forgot to say I am using COMPONENT connection over van damme cables from the DVD player

4. the_oldhams

the_oldhams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Captain

Maybe I will try that - any suggestions for a reasonably priced progressive scan DVD ? Have you tried HDMI DVD player with the AE700 and if so did you notice much difference above component ? Maybe I will buy an S97 from Panasonic shop (expensive) but at least they will take it back if I am not happy . Do you know of any retailers that allow returns for items not satisfied with

Thanks

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    My first DVD deck with prog. scan was the Sony 730 which was marvellous though the gamma was slightly out. I then bought the superlative Denon 2900 here on the forums, second hand, in amazing condition for just £300.00 odd quid. PQ was much better on the 300, far bolder,more colourful.

Cant comment on the 700 as not owned one.

As for retaliers, I suggest using forum sponsors

www.nexnix.co.uk

www.discounttv.co.uk

Hope this helps

Cap :)

6. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    When I bought my AE700, I also had to buy a new DVD that had componant output, so I took advice and got one that also did progressive scan output. (see my kit list below).

However,......... I tried it only once, and decided that the picture was much better with it turned off. It seems to me that the Panny does a very good job of its own in this regard. Well certainly in the case of my DVD player any how.

A lot of the cheaper DVD players (sub £100) offer progressive scan these days, so maybe you should just get one of those and give it a whirl.

Mark

7. joffonon

joffonon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've demoed my AE700 to lots of people, and I've spotted very little picture quality differences between S-Video, RGB and HDMI connections when watching the same material (HDMI from a PC, not an upscaling player, but the concept is the same). If you're happy with the picture quality from your current player via component, then my advice is stick with it.

As for Sky+, I've connected mine with a 10m long SCART cable, and the RGB picture is perfectly OK (well, as good as the low-bitrate source, anyway!).

8. the_oldhams

the_oldhams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark

Thanks for the info about progressive scan - I guess then it is best to wait for HD DVD then. Actually on another point just noticed a little VB which I had not seen before until today - I have done flicker tweak to minimise flicker on all three colours but made no real difference - had green & red at 27 and blue at 2B

Thanks

9. cpj

cpj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure the Pioneer 656 is progressive scan look in the menu settings.

This might save you some money!!

cpj

10. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    It is prog scan enabled but NTSC I think, no PAL prog.

Wasabi

11. the_oldhams

the_oldhams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the feedback - yes my DVD is NOT progressive but by the sounds of things it is better to feed an interlaced picture anyway. I think I will stick with the DVD player and see how high def DVD and SKY HD goes - lets hope Sky bring out a SKY+ HD box that is not too expensive