1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ae700 upgraded to v7 WOW

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by phillfyspoon, May 9, 2005.

1. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I got the very very first batch of the ae700 in september last year and got mine of to be firmware upgraded put it on last nite and VB has gone, vanished and to me the image just seems better for some reason, first time i got the wow factor while watching it and I havent had that since i first got my ae300. The image on ntl cable has no noise at all and no VB even on blue skys :clap:

2. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    phillfyspoon,

I am currently NOT using my HDMI input, but keep hearing of people getting the firmware update.
    With the warrenty running out after 12months, I am beginning to wonder if I should send mine back (mine was first batch) to be upgraded, in aniticpation of using the HDMI in the future (when Sky TV sort it out).

Question, What was the basis for you getting yours upgraded ? Did you have to "convince" them you were seeing a problem to have it done, or where they quite happy to do it ? Also, what was your point of contact to arrange it ?

Many thanks in advance for any help on this

Mark

3. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    easy mate just email panasonic uk saying u are having probs with the screen flickering when using HDMI input. thats what i did and dont even use it lol. they take your serial number ask your address and they arrange collection and pay for it. i got mine back in 10days.

4. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,155
    Do a search on the forum m8,i contacted panasonic about mine it had 1.03 firmware.I just lied about the white flashes and got mine upgraded.
    I did use to suffer from very bad VB but after the upgrade i now have none.
    I was told by panasonic that the 1.07 firware wouldn't sort out the VB,but me and a few others on this forum have noticed a big diffrence.

5. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    for me the difference is nite and day. I also had a genuine problem with a pink tint in corner of screen on repair reciept it said shading corrected that sorted it and now image is top.

6. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    How do I find the version number of the AE700. I suffer from the white flashing, about once or twice during a film. I always thought is was the length of my the HDMI/DVI cable.

Cheers

gwc

7. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,155

Menu
    options
    hold OSD down for 5 secs,another menu should appear
    press self check
    Should be the 1st R number 1.03 1.05 or 1.07 :)

Sure thats correct.

8. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    hunts1k,

That worked fine, I have version 1.03.

cheers

gwc

9. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,155
    Same as mine was,contact them and i can't see you having any problems.

10. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Well just got my AE700 back from Panny, it now has the 1.07 firmware. There's still some slight traces of VB on what I was watching tonight but it doesn't seem as bad as before. In all honesty the picture looked excellent, although that may have had something to do with the fact I've now hooked it up to a Pioneer 868 :)

Now off to go get me an HDMI lead as this was my main reason for the upgrade.

Panasonic collected the AE700 and had it back to me in one week, pretty good really.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

11. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Blast this means i won't be getting the Pioneer for a week then:laugh:

Glad Panasonic gave you a quick turnaround though :clap:

Adrenochrome.

12. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Tom,

tell me about it Christmas certainly did come early for me yesterday. In the monring the 868 arrived at the work, in the afternoon the AE700 followed.

Don't worry though I'm sure you picked up a nice table to drool over on Sunday :rotfl:

If you do want to see what the 868 pq is like running on your Z3 then drop me a text, its not a problem to unhook it and pop over.

If not then I'll let you know when I have the HDMI lead, you can come over and see it in operation here :smashin:

Have fun.

Keith

13. chriswhiteuk

chriswhiteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

Any of you guys tried the Pio via HMDI yet ??

I'm getting subtle VB, but have reported it to Panasonic (as HMDI white flashes, hehe) to see if they will upgrade my firmware (currently 1.05).

Although the VB is present, the picture is excellent - better than my AE500 via DVI.

Cheers

Chris

14. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its my understanding component looks better than HDMI on this projector ( been reading the american forums too where they have huge numbers of threads on the subject ) i use component and it looks excellent.

15. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    What puzzles me (and perhaps someone can explain) is that I read Panasonic say the v1.07 upgrade does nothing to improve vertical banding.
    But virtually everyone seems to be saying it does improve it a lot.

Which can only mean, either everyone here is mad and off their trolly, or Panasonic are lying........?

16. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,155
    Or Panasonic knows eveyone will be returning there AE700.I had 1.03 and had to lie through my teeth to get panasonic to take it back.I would say it impoved VB 99% as i've noticed it once slightly in the 200 hours i've had it back for.

17. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    Yup, so they are lying through their teeth as they want to avoid a general recal of units which are (to varying degrees) faulty.

At least WE know the truth :)

18. chriswhiteuk

chriswhiteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    well, I just dropped mine back the Panasonic shop and told them, literally, that I wanted it upgraded to the latest firmware - and they said "ok" !!

Foxy, have you compared this to an upscaled HDMI feed, I'm just interested! No doubt that the AE700 gives a glourious, rich picture, even if it has vertical banding!

After dropping off my pj, I headed straight into Sevenoaks and demoed the Screenplay 4850 ? and 5750 ? (iirc) and I have got to say, that the AE700 holds up very well, being LCD and not DLP ! I was also shown an Optoma H7 ? And the white's were not white ?! some sort of discolouration going on there !

Anyways, fingers crossed, I get my pj back before an AE800 comes out !

Chris

19. Monkeyboylee

Monkeyboylee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just had my AE700 picked up this morning for the firmware upgrade - I'll let you know how long it takes.

I do not need HD yet but will do for SKy next year and Xbox 360 so not experienced and VB at all - just wanted to get it done whilst still under warranty. Panny's customer service were very unhelpful (generic email responses) at first but when i spoke to someone and made out I have the VB problem for HD and that I knew there was a free firmware upgrade to sort it out it became a totally different matter and bent over backwards.

This is my first pj (a big decision) but I love it. My family and friends can't believe how good it is (even on a plain white wall) but I will be interested to see if there is any general SD picture improvement with the upgrade.

20. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to have to do this. With PS3 having HDMI out I don't want to discover problems in the future.

Just hate the problems with courier collection and delivery, it usually means taking time off work. Wonder if there's a Panasonic store anywhere nearby.

21. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    There was no problems with the collection and delivery of my AE700. Panasonic agreed to collect and return from my place of work. It all went very smoothly indeed.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

22. kennyjmac

kennyjmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i also have this problem has anyone got the panasonic number to call thanks ?????

23. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207

24. Monkeyboylee

Monkeyboylee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just to let anyone who cares know,

I got my baby back yesterday from Panasonic - thats only 5 working days - so excellent.

I've had no problems at all with the collection/delivery from/to work.

25. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Telephoned the number above and was told Panasonic no longer send out couriers to pick up PJs - I would have to take my AE700 to a Panasonic service centre.

Rang a couple and it seems pretty straight forward - I take the PJ in, they send it off to Panasonic who then, after fixing it - hopefully - send it back to the service centre and then I pick it up. Sorted.

We'll see...

26. jjdaugh

jjdaugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I called Panasonic to get the upgrade. I mentioned I have white flashes on the screen. The tech immediately said, "You are using the HDMI port arent you?"

I am not, but of course I said "yes."

He then gave me a number of the service center I have to ship it to. For my own selfish reasons, I will post the US panasonc number as well as the service tech number once my upgrade is complete. I dont want a bombardment of calls to kill my chance of the upgrade. :)

BTW The service tech never even asked for and I never received a trouble ticket number etc.

Therefore, you should be able to all the service location directly and have it udpated without calling Panasonic at all. All I have to pay for is shipping to the tech center.

Jim

27. Monkeyboylee

Monkeyboylee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I was watching Sky through Scart tonight and although I have just had the firmware upgrade to 1.07 I am getting what I think is Vertical Banding, this makes no sense as I did not experience it with version 1.03 at all. DVD's are fine so can it be the signal that is the problem?

I have now turned the pj off, let it cool down for a few second till the fan went off and it is no longer there?

Anybody tell me what is going on? :confused: :confused:

Cheers

28. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    I have found that the VB on Scart/$ky is worse than Component/HDMI DVD. It was like this for me on 1.03 and now on 1.07. I'm not saying its too bad just there, certainly more noticable on $ky especially with football for instance.

Isn't it always the case that after turning your projector off, then on again you should wait a lot longer than just the fan stopping? I always thought an hour or so was maybe ok but no less. Immediately switching it back on causes stress on the lamp and is not recommended. Why it would effect any VB is perhaps yet another thread to the mystery of VB itself :rolleyes:

KH

29. Monkeyboylee

Monkeyboylee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Isn't it always the case that after turning your projector off, then on again you should wait a lot longer than just the fan stopping? I always thought an hour or so was maybe ok but no less. Immediately switching it back on causes stress on the lamp and is not recommended. Why it would effect any VB is perhaps yet another thread to the mystery of VB itself :rolleyes:

KH[/QUOTE]

Keith, cheers for the tip - I'll definitely do that in future.

30. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've sent an email enquiry off now via the Panny website... last night I also discovered I have a bluish tint to the lower half of the screen so I thought I'd try to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Bloody typical that I missed the boat with the courier collection/delivery. :mad:

Did anybody else raise the problem via the website? How was the response?