1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE700 tweaks and connections ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Beano, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to projectors and will actually be getting my first one (a AE700) in a few days, so please forgive my dumb questions :)

I've read alot of people's posts on this site and have noticed the discussions reg. various tweaks which can be done to the AE700 to fix thinks like "Vertical Bands".

Can anybody give me a link to an article or post which explains what these tweak(s) are and how to do them ?

Next question... I'm also getting new DVD player soon (a Denon DVD-1910) which have DVI output in addition to the usual Component, RGB SCART, S-VIDEO, etc.
    Can I connect my projector to my new DVD player digitally thru the DVI port with an DHCP-DVI adaptor/cable or is component the way to go instead ?

Last question (for now) :) ...
    I have quite a few consoles (4) which I have connected to my TV today thru a quality RGB SCART switch box. This works fine for me and the quality is great.
    I would now like to find a RGB SCART splitter so I can get the video signal to my new projector without having to connect/disconnect cables each time I want to switch between TV and projector. Can anybody recommend a good RGB SCART splitter (1 in port and 2 out ports) ?

I prefer an european shop (UK, german, etc) to an American since I live in Europe and prefer not to pay additional duties/vat/tax.

TIA :)

2. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *bump*

Anyone ?...

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Can I suggest that you await the delivery of the unit first to see if it actually needs tweaking in anyway shape or form. VB is subjective and may not affect your unit or your viewing pleasure. You dont want to start fiddling with the thing as soon as you get it as you may tweak yourself into trouble....something that has happened here before.

Not sure about the connection method which would be best for you, but DVI does sound like the way to go....

You can buy RGB switch boxes from Argos...not bad either.

Hope this helps for now.

Cap :)

4. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course :)

I just wanted to know more about the tweaks ...

Reg, SCART box, Argos don't have the kind of SCART splitter I need.
    I need a 1-to-2 port splitter and not the other way around.

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Re - tweaking....

Lets keep the fingers crossed that you dont have any noticable VB or other stuff :)

Let us know how you get on with the unit upon arrival....

6. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do :)

7. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my AE700 yesterday and here are my initial impressions :)

After 2 min of setting up, I had the projector running and the pricture was quite bright and clear even on a plain white wall (haven't decided on which screen to buy yet - any suggestions ?) and a plain S-VIDEO cable.
    I have hooked it up to both my DVD player and Xbox thru S-VIDEO cable which looks nice for now, but will connect the Xbox thru RGB-SCART and the DVD player thru Component (or DVI) later for better quality.

I haven't noticed any VB with S-VIDEO yet as some people have reported and shown on pictures - and I have been looking :)
    Haven't noticed any flickering either....

Maybe when using component, DVI or RGB-SCART the problem will appear, but so far nothing to complain about.

Reg. noise - very low in Low-Lamp mode but a tad highter in High-mode.
    In the current (test) setup, I'm sitting right next to the projector (1m/3 feet) which is standing on a table and while the noise is noticiable it does not disturb at all and you have to be really listening for it. In high mode the noice is a tad disturbing though.
    But when I get the projector mounted in the ceiling, I can imagine that high-mode lamp noise will be non-disturbing also :)

Since I couldn't see much difference in the picture, I have mainly used Low-lamp mode so far - maybe the difference will be bigger on a proper screen, dunno...

The remote is a bit crap though, but has the nessesary buttons for quick switching of picture modes and aspect ratios which is important to me.
    Since I will program my multi-remote with the projector's codes, the remote will not be used anyway :)

So overall... very satisfied so far !

8. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A while ago I read that Panasonic advised against use of the low lamp mode as it defeated the purpose of the dynamic iris. I assumed that meant the iris only worked in high mode, similar to the AI contrast on the AE500. Is this not the case?

9. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No idea... but will test it more.

Maybe the difference is clearer when I get a screen - right now I can only see a slightly brighter picture on my white wall when lamp-mode is high.

10. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hey glad that the PJ has arrived an not showing any signs of VB.

As component/DVI is a superior connection method to s-video I doubt if you will see any VB at all. That is good news. Looks like you got a good 'un.

Enjoy,

11. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Beano
    With regards to screens have a chat with Shootandshow - forum sponsors. I own a 200cm wide screen (16x9) NexNix high gain screen which is excellent.
    They do manual and electric versions with and without remote controls.
    Speak to Matt Gane in sales.

They will also be able to sort you out with a mount for the PJ if you need one.

Cheers

Tone

13. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    From ProjectorCentral:

The AE700 offers 3000-hour lamp life in high lamp mode, and even longer (but unspecified) lamp life in eco-mode. Furthermore, the fan noise in high lamp mode is very low in both volume and pitch. Therefore since you get low fan noise and 3000-hour lamp life in high lamp mode, the AE700 is the first of the home theater projectors that we would recommend be routinely operated in high lamp mode. The higher light output allows for a larger screen image—an obvious advantage to home theater enthusiasts looking for a very big screen experience.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ae700.htm

14. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough, so I guess from the sound of that if you're not pushing the limits of the screen size you may as well leave it in low lamp mode...

15. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I will :)

I'm also not planning to go much beyond 180x100 cm (aprox. 80 inches) in screen size anyway since my living room is quite small.