1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE700 returning to Panasonic

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by OneEyedStuart, May 1, 2005.

1. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    OK, they are picking up the projector on Tuesday to have the 1.07 firmware flashed. I wasn't going to include the power cable in the box as its built into some trunking and cable tied to some other cables, besides I'd be very suprised that Panasonic themselves didn't have a power cable for this.

Of those who have returned their AE700, did you include everything in the box, or just the projector itself ?

Regards
    Keith Hurst

2. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I included just the PJ in mine, as I was in the same position as you with cables in trunking.

They still managed to get it done.

3. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Cheers Coop, thought this would be the case.

KH

4. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    What problem have you had with the projector as I am about to send back a sanyo Z3 and I was going to get this as a replacement.
    Do you recommend the panasonic?

5. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    I'm sending the Panny back to have a firmware upgrade which will cure a reported problem on HDMI. I don't have a HDMI enabled player as yet but expect to do so before the 12 month warranty expires, hence the deisre for the upgrade. Some have said the picture quality improves after the 1.07 upgrade, some don't. Obviously I'll be making my own mind up on this when I have the projector returned to me.

The 1.07 firmware apparently fixes a HDMI white flash issue, picture flashes every couple of seconds or so when using an HDMI connection. To find more about it then have search for other threads on here. There's some VB on the AE700, can't quite say if its got better with time or I'm just used to it by now. All I can say, however, that it rarely raises it's ugly head so I'm able to enjoy movies to their fullest. Oh and it's a lot noisier than a Z3, esp when ceiling mounted.

With regard to comparing the Z3 to the AE700 you should try and have a word with Adrenochrome, one of mods. He has owned both, swapped out his AE700 for the Z3.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

6. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Cheers for that Keith, It does'nt really matter how they compare to me as the panasonic is the only pj I can find that has a long enough throw to position on my back wall which is 5 metres away and get a 85" screen.
    I do like the Z3 a lot but it's going to be too much hassle to get a picture I'm happy with.

7. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    How did you get Panasonic to pick it up? They refuse to take mine back, they tell me to take it back to the shop. This is pretty inconvenient though. They claim thay although it's their warranty for some reason I must go through the shop I bought it from.

8. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    How do I tell what firmware version I have? My Samsung DVD-HD945 is connected via HDMI & I haven't seen any white flashes nor visible banding. Perhaps I've not been looking hard enoigh?

9. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    PMC - I contacted Panasonic customer services and detailed the HDMI issue. They then asked when it was bought, where it was bought, produc and serial ID. After supplying them with this information they asked when and where I wished pickup. I gave them my work address and the date I wanted it picked up. On said date a courier arrrived, picked up my packaged AE700, gave me a receipt and took the box away. Do a search in this forum for 1.07 and you will find th email address of customer services.

Nigelbb - Not having my AE700 to hand I am doing this from memory. You can get to the service page by going to the Options menu, then select and hold down on the OSD menu. This brings up a so called secret menu, you can for instance set the flicker levels here. One of the options on this menu is SELF CHECK. Go into that and somewhere on screen you will find numbers like...

R1.05 A1.03 P1.04

The first of these is your firmware version number. Apparently the HDMI problem was fixed in version 1.05. The lastest version to my kowledge is 1.07.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

10. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    I just checked & I have version 1.5. Is there anything to be gained by nagging Panasonic support to get version 1.7?

11. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    I couldn't say in all honesty. I did start to read certain threads on the 1.05 vrs 1.07 firmware over at http://www.avsforum.com/ but i often get either annoyed with the web site's layout or the posters that I eventually stop.

Try over there and do a search and see if the 1.07 provides anything you might require.

KH

12. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This forum is a much more pleasant site to visit and interact, been there, too noisy !, not much changes from 1.05>1.07, 1.05 fixes issues related to white flash/HDMI problem.
    Congrats to avforum and users, where its OK to post for help without having a B-17 shot down :)

13. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Thanks for the info Keith. The problem I am having is that it overheats causing the fan to get noisy. They say this is not a known issue with this model. The HDMI thing is though, that's probably why they took yours.
    I have recently started experiencing bad VB when watching football. Maybe I can use that as an excuse to get them to pick it up.

14. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    This forum is nicer not least because it doesn't have that godawful colour scheme.