1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE700 picture cropping

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NorthernNerd, Mar 26, 2005.

1. NorthernNerd

NorthernNerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked through the fairly massive tweak guide on www.avsforum.com but that doesn't answer the question I have nagging me.

I put on a DVD and, like any video display, my AE700 crops the left and right of the picture slightly. Probably the top and bottom too.

My question is: How do I control the 'zoom' of the picture before it leaves the lens? I can't do it from the service menu and all that's available from the regular menu are the usual left/right/up/down adjustments.

I have opened up TVs in the past to sort this out, am I going to have to open my projector too? I REALLY don't want to do that.

2. NorthernNerd

NorthernNerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been doing more digging around and have discovered you can't control this on the AE700 (through the menus that is).

I realise it's a very anal thing to complain about but I want to control every aspect of the picture I see, not some Panasonic engineer.

If anyone is interested, and by the looks of things nobody is, I can post a couple of pics illustrating the problem. If anyone knows their way around the guts of the AE700 I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

Would it be worthwhile contacting Panasonic themselves regarding this? If I'd known the AE700 didn't allow the user to fully control the picture (like any PC monitor does for example), I'd never have bought it.

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I'm trying to figure this out. Why would they crop the picture?

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I'm surprised more 700 owners haven't mentioned this if it's a generic feature. How much cropping are you talking about?
    ...PJ

5. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess the cropping(overscan), is a legacy of analogue transmission and CRT display's, although PAL system is 625 lines, not all of these are meant to be seen, ie. teletext, channel ID,timecode, blanking ,etc.Which does not apply to a DVD, but is taken into account, So dealing with analogue signal cropping occurs, however, if you want the full signal from your DVD without cropping, then you need digital signal process between your DVD and projector via DVI or HDMI connection(ie. a new DVD player compliant with HD).

The latest firmware(1.05 and up) for AE700 even allows for HD overscan to be turned on or off(service menu - off by default).

Have a look at your user manual for the signal chart, the AA rated signals, well atleast in theory are not resized by the DSP engine, hope this helps :hiya:

6. NorthernNerd

NorthernNerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's weird. I've tried just about every flavour of every input and there doesn't seem to be any obvious pattern as to what is/isn't cropped.

I will post some pictures, though it'll be onto a wall that's halfway through being de-wallpapered.

PAL DVD through RGB SCART = cropped
    NTSC Halo 2 in 480p through component = cropped
    NTSC F-Zero GX in 480p through component = not cropped at all

Why is one 480p signal cropped and the other not touched?!

PJTX100 - I'm surprised this has never been mentioned as well. It's the type of problem that's not significant enough for me to want rid of it, but present enough to drive someone like me (who appreciates perfection) completely insane. I was just playing with the x/y positioning and was moving Solaris right. I had to move it ALL the way to the right (thereby cutting off a load of the right hand side of the picture) before I reached the real left of the image.

In TVs the picture is always alterable using few controls on the main PCB (normally white with a phillips head) and I can't help but wonder what similar things are inside the AE700.

EDIT: Can anyone find/has anyone got a picture/diagram of the AE700 PCB? I don't want to open it just yet.

7. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    just got the 700 running today in the last couple of hours. still tweaking settings. using hdmi feed from a pioneer dv668. very impressive pictures, but they do seem smaller on my 5ft screen in comparison with my old sharp xv350h. I can fill the screan with a 1:85 ratio image only by using the zoom function in the menus. if not zoomed theres black bars at top and bottom, is this due to HDMI input?

8. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't bother, the day's of having pot's to twiddle are long past!, now all controlled by firmware or eeprom data and scaling algorithms, get over it and enjoy the view :)

9. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Generally speaking, if using HDMI input, no scaling is used with some signals, so underscan can occur, this allows the content to be shown in its original and true format .(sounds weird not to use all avalible pixel's), perhaps the naitive resolution is smaller than the pixel array?