1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE700 or HS50?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by simoncha, Oct 24, 2004.

1. simoncha

simoncha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    Another newbie I'm afraid so please be patient if I ask any stupid questions.

I'm close to making a choice for my first PJ. I had almost decided on the 700 until I read a negative review related to convergence problems when lens shifting. Does anyone out there have direct experience of this? I will definitely need to lens shift.

Then came the HS50 thread which put more doubts in my mind. Would the extra £600-700 outlay be worthwhile. I'm willing to stretch the budget for a noticeable gain but is this likely to be discernable by my untrained eye.
    I guess very few have had the opportunity to demo the Sony, but based on the spec, is it likely to be a significant improvement over the Panny & worth the extended wait for availabilty?

Thanks

2. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat as you.....

On paper the Sony should be superb, but as it's not available until the end of October at the earliest we're all just going to have to wait and see.

There's also the new Sanyo Z3 due out at the same time.... just to add to the confusion... :D

3. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    I'd heard the new Panasonic AE900 is coming soon with the D5 Epson Panels.
    Only Joking :)

4. activeuk

activeuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    same boat as the rest of u AE700 or HS50?????

5. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi
    I have seen the AE700 and it was good, but have put off the purchase until I have seen the HS50 which as stated on paper is SO much better, I hope either this week or next I will have had a demo and will be able to provide some feedback on this.

AVLAND are taking orders from tomorrow - however they wont have a demo of it. Also ShootandShow will have some and they will be dem'ing so consider a chat with matt gane there.

In the meantime watch this space as it will be out and in peeps houses before the end of this week I hope!

Cheers

Tone

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,952
    One thing I have noticed about the HS50 is it seems to be very deep! 360mm compared to 270mm for the AE700 and 300mm for the Optoma H77, that in itself for me might be a showstopper as there wasn't much room behind the AE700 when I had it and the HS50 is 9cm deeper! Next time I get a ceiling mount installed I'll leave a bit more room behind it for upgrades!

Andy.

7. KWB

KWB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just received my AE700 and started to setup the PJ tonight. I have just tried changing the height of the projector relative to the screen and using the lens shift and i could not notice any difference in the quality.

The only time i noticed any difference is if i moved the projector from the horizontal and therefore required keyston correction.

8. Tup

Tup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

On another forum people were able to view many projectors at a shootout event in Sweden. From all accounts....the Sony HS50/51 trounced all other LCD projectors...inc. the Sanyo Z3, the Pana AE700, the Hitachi Tx100, etc. Several different people seemed to indicate the the HS50 was on par with HD2+ DLP's.

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Dunno about you Andy, but I think there's something retro about a larger PJ. Probably sounds a bit AR but above all it gives me a sense of getting something for my money. Not that it's got anything to do with the picture it produces.

If it's an improvement on the HS20 it will be a very fine PJ indeed.

10. activeuk

activeuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    when will the h50 be on sale