AE700 ND Filter size

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by OneEyedStuart, Oct 19, 2004.

1. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    Hi,

After reading threads on here re FLD and or ND2 filteres it seems that most are using a 55m filter, if any.

On the AE700 I cannot see where one would attach a 55m filter, the screw thread only appears to be 76/77 mil.

Can anyone confirm this or shed some light on where a 55m filter could screw into ?

Regards
    Keith Hurst

2. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    No AE700 owners care to comment ?

KH

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    I don't have an AE700, but is there a 55mm thread inside the outer ring on the lens?
    If its 77mm only, you could use a step down ring adapter (or combinations of them) in order to use a 55mm filter.
    You could just use a 77mm filter, if that's the size that fits, although I suspect you may have compared the 77mm and 55mm prices already :) :), and would prefer the 55mm!!

If it fits, without fouling the actual lens surface, you could always blu-tak (using small slivers of course :) ) a 55mm into position inside the lens hood stepped cone area - sounds a bit tacky, but it should work OK, especially if you just want to test/play around with the filters.

4. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    Mike,

if there is a 55mm fix on the inside then I have certainly been unable to find it. Panasonic UK are being most unhelpful in not answering mails on this either :rolleyes:

I have priced both filters and as you say the 55 is cheaper, however I have managed to find a 77 for $50.00 US ( roughly as I do not have the web site to hand ) with shipping being about $12.00

Ideally need this size confirmed however before splashing out more cash. Will pop into the local photo shop at the weekend and see what they have to offer, will see if I can take one away on a sale or return basis if they have the 77 in stock and it doesn't cost the earth.

Many thanks for your reply.

KH

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Don't forget the VAT and excise duty you may get stung with - can add over 20% to the cost, and then you may also get with with a handling charge on top (to cover the Mail paying the import taxes etc etc).
    That $62 can soon turn into $80odd.

Have you considered Cokin filters - not as neat as a screw in, granted, but a lot cheaper. A P series holder and ND2, should only set you back £15 or so.

6. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    Cheers Mike, I will check these out.

KH