1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE700-Lamp flicker

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by exsodius, Dec 26, 2004.

?
  1. Yes, but only in low lamp mode.

18.9%
  2. Yes, but only in high(normal) lamp mode

10.8%
  3. No

70.3%
  1. exsodius

exsodius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have this lamp flicker? And why does it do that?

I have been thinking something could be wrong with the power or earth in my house. Is it dangerous to use AE700 without earth?

2. exsodius

exsodius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far 50% has lamp flicker. Can those who woted no, tell me if they are using htpc? Because the easiest way to see this flicker is in a white explorer window.

3. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    I voted no. Ceiling mounted, low lamp mode, conneted through progressive compnent from a Pioneer 575. Also SKY via RGB no flicker there either.

KH

4. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,806

Same set up, no problems. :thumbsup:

5. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If its anything like the ae500 brightness fluxuation that some of us have had (and Panasonic told me its well within factory specs - I think they think im on about Panel Flicker) then its annoying as hell.

ive seen it on 2 500 models, and had bulbs replaced with no effect.

:(

edit:

yep, thats when its most obvious on the ae500 too. I have run it from a Geforce3ti200 card into the ae500 via a VGA cable, had the res set correctly at 1280x720, and its plainly obvious when browsing the web as theres plenty of bright backgrounds that dont move or change colour.

It less obvious when watching DVDs, but its there. Ive even seen it on the blue screen with no inputs whatsoever.

pez

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I got no flicker when connected to my regular PC on a white screen.

7. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  8. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    Hunts.....

as an aisde do you notice any difference between using the 575 on progressive or interlaced going to the AE700. I can't say I do, the projector certainly shows its receiving a progressive signal but I would have expected better quality, lines still appear jagged.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

9. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Yep, same problem with not one, but two AE500s. As Pez says, more noticable with a PC feed but I found staring at the DVD menu for the Office series exhibited the same flicker.

10. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Had it with my 2 500's and now my 700's got it, well P***ed off as in my experience it ends up with the bulb blowing prematurely.

11. kballs

kballs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My AE700 has flickered a bit from day 1... just playing Xbox with mid-brightness static displays (either dashboard or HUD), it randomly goes darker then lighter for a split second and comes back in line, then does it again a few seconds or minutes later. I thought it might be the iris spazzing out but it seems more like it's a bulb brightness flicker.

What is this? Should I send it off for repair? Is my lamp going to become hot shrapnel?

12. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    My 500 done this and the bulb went at circa 500 hours.

Send it off right away :lesson:

Adrenochrome.

13. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,806
    Keith, i don't really notice any diffrence at all.I've gone back to using scart from my 575 to ae700 now so that i can use x-box with component.

14. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I don't have or never had an AE700 but I had a similar problem with an Infocus PJ a few years ago, can't remember the model.
    The problem developed within a month and was very similar to what you describe, not really noticeable on video (until you knew it was there) but very noticeable on PC browsing etc. I did observe something unusual about the problem, it only occurred while the PJ was upside down (as on its ceiling bracket), if I put it right side up on the coffee table the flickering would stop. I was convinced it was a lamp problem and as it was under warranty I took it back to get checked out. I gave the service guy all the details and he told me to leave it with him for a few days. I phoned two days later and he told me that my PJ had been running continuously for two days and nights and no flicker. I was a bit speechless and was told I could pick it up any time so I drove straight over. I said to the service guy "I won't believe until I see with my own eyes". Luckily he accepted the challenge and took me in to the workshop. There I saw my little PJ still running but right side up and with ceiling mode selected. I said No it has to be physically upside down for the problem to occur ( you never know how your explanation will be interpreted no mater how detailed). I turned it upside down and he was quick to say "still no flicker", I said it would take a minute or two as I prayed a silent prayer. Sure enough the flicker started and he was able witness it but it got me nowhere, he said that it was only slight and would be within spec. I took it home and lived with it until one day just after the lamp warranty expired, the lamp actually exploded. I had to buy a new lamp and the flickering was cured but only for a short while, it started flickering soon afterwards. Another few months went by and then the PJ refused to power up so I brought it back again and was told the Power unit was blown and would be replaced under warranty. When I got it back the flicker was still there and I just had to live with it. Even though it was on the second lamp I was still of the opinion that it was a lamp problem, maybe vapour collecting at an electrode or something which only occurred while inverted. Instead of enjoying the film I would be developing all these theories and plans. I had a plan to rotate the lamp within the lamp assembly by 180 deg. to see if it would solve the problem. Unfortunately I never got around to trying this and I was a bit hesitant after paying about 400 for it a short time earlier. exsodius, I wish I had a solution for you but my solution was a new PJ which turned out to be as much a dream as the previous one had been a nightmare.

Jim.

15. exsodius

exsodius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Guess who is taking the projetor down from the ceiling, to try desk mode :thumbsup:

I have heard that the bulb must be in level or in water as we say in norway.

What projector do you have now?

Its kinda strange this morning i woke up, and turned on my bedroom light. And i saw exactly the same fluctation in this lights, and i repeat exactly the same. Whats up? Could it be my power that is f***** up?

16. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have you tried your pj right side up yet, did it make any difference.

17. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi exsodius, sorry I could not get back sooner, I have a Toshiba MT-8 now (Infocus 7200 clone) and it is great. Almost 2900 Hrs on original lamp, no flicker, no problems and no filters to clean. For the past 12 months it has had heavy use, my Wife gets home about 3.30 PM, switches it on and runs it to about midnight every night. Picture still looks as good as day one.
    Did you try your AE700 right side up yet? Lamp flicker seems to be a fairly common problem on a lot of PJ's.

Jim

18. exsodius

exsodius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. Havent turned it around yet. But i will try it.

19. exsodius

exsodius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i measure the power with a voltmeter, is it differencein the volt or ampere that will show a fluctating bulb?

20. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It is the Voltage that can vary. There is a wide tolerance on mains voltage from your supplier, usually about + or - 10% so a 220V supply could vary from 198V to 242V.
    This is unlikely to be your problem because most modern electronic equipment use switch mode power supplies which can tolerate huge variations in supply voltage. Sometimes you can see on the label of a piece of equipment 95 to 280 Volts.

Jim

21. exsodius

exsodius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!

But why does the light bulbs in my house fluctate when neighbours are using a lot of power?

We have a builing crane connected to our power stations now, it has been there for a couple of months now.

22. exsodius

exsodius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have anybody with flicker tried the ae700 another place. Like at their friend house or something. So they do know that it is not their power that causes it.

23. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Friends house = flicker.

Shop where i bought it = flicker.

pez