Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AE700/HS20 - Help, Comments and Advice please!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ed_J, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Ed_J

Ed_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    This is going to be a bit of a long one, but please bear with me! I've been lurking/reading this forum for quite a while now an was just about to order an HS20 from Discounttv when the AE700 appeared on the scene. So, I waited. Now I've read the initial reports of the AE700, it seems really good and I'm tempted, BUT, I haven't seen one in action. (I'm based in Warwick and no-one round here seems to have/intend to get one for demo - Anyone got any suggestions??) I have seen the HS20 and was very impressed with it, but given the reports of the AE700 (so far) I just can't make a decision. We are in the process of redecorating the lounge and I NEED to make a decision soon!
    So, my questions:

1. For those that have seen both the HS20 and AE700 - what are the pro's/con's of the two projectors (bearing in mind Ben's price difference of only £200 between the two is not a hugely influencing factor as I was prepared for the HS20 price anyway)? Throw is not an issue, as it will be at the back of the room (approx 14 feet).

2. I need to get a screen soon (due to decorating). I am quite tempted by a DRH Slimline (92" diag), as it seems good value and will fit the patio window aperture just nicely. Which would be the best version for these two PJs, the Matt or the High Power? Would a grey screen be better for these PJs?

3. If I went for the HS20, what is the PJ Multi connection like? Does it provide a good quality connection, as it sounds very neat (3-in-1)? Medium term, I intend to go to HTPC with DVI-D, but initially it would be Component from DVD player.

4. Does anyone know of anywhere nearer to Warwick that can demo the AE700 (preferably with the HS20 too)?

:oops: EDIT>5. What is the difference between the LCD panels of these two? Are Sony's their own and Panasonic's the Epson ones? Are the Sony panel's less prone to VB? (More prone to something else??)

I phoned Ben for advice and, unfortunately(?) he was unable to help me jump either way, so I am looking for additional opinions (no offence, Ben, it's just the more the merrier!) If you are on-line at the moment, what are your opening times for Demos? Sundays?? It may be worth the trip if I can demo the two PJs and (hopefully) walk away with one of them!

Please can anyone help me get off this fence, as it is becoming a pain in the Back-side!!

Thanks, in anticipation,
    Ed.

P.S Please don't suggest waiting to see the next PJ (e.g. Z3), I can't put this off any longer............. At least, not unless you think the next one will be a massive improvement! :laugh:

P.P.S Thanks to all those who've shared their AE700 views already! :smashin:

2. KWB

KWB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stratford HiFi in Leamington Spa have the HS20 available for demo.

3. Ed_J

Ed_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KWB,
    Thanks, but that is where I've seen the HS20 already. They won't be getting the AE700 in (sticking with Infocus Screenplay mainly), which is a real pity.

Cheers,
    Ed.

P.S. they can't match the price for HS20 that Benji_m is doing.

4. chilli

chilli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ed,
    You should definitely demo before you buy, and I did just that at discount tv. Ben was very helpful, and I would recommend his store to anyone. Also the price for the HS20 seems to be very competitive when you put it into a kelkoo search :thumbsup:

The lamplife on the sony is quite abit less than the panny, and the bulbs are more expensive, exact figures I don't know.

I know it is is quite a trip, but if you can't find anyone nearer you should do it, you will most certainly be leaving with one projector or another so you can't lose!

As for the PJ multiconnect thing, my sad dvd source has no component :thumbsdow , only s-video, so I haven't tried it out. But it is 10m long and will be the first cable i use when i can afford to get some better gear and ceiling mount the PJ.