1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE700 Focus problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Adrenochrome, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Panasonic kindly sent me a brand new AE700 as a replacement for an AE500 that suffered from terrible banding.

I Have this ceiling mounted and projecting a 6 foot wide image but i cannot get a uniformly focussed image :( i.e when surfing the net i get a sharp image except for the top right quarter of the screen,on turning the focus ring to get the top right sharp the bottom left quarter loses focus :mad: Does anyone know what could be causing this or does it mean Panasonic have send me a faulty unit?

Adrenochrome.

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Tom,

Some projectors don't have perfect focus uniformity, but your description sounds a touch severe - are you using an amount of lens shift, this is reputed to cause focus issues at the extremes. If you're not using lots of lens shift then I reckon you'd be entitled to go back to Panasonic for remedy.

Sean.

3. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Hi Sean,

I Would feel really bad if i went back to Panasonic with a complaint (they would be thinking they have a right one here).

But to be honest with you it hurts my eyes when surfing the net it is so bad. :(

I Am having to use the lens shift though which i find strange as the 500 and the 100 before it were all mounted in the same place.

Adrenochrome.

Edit D'oh the 700 is bigger(higher) so this of course means i need to use the lens shift. Fortunately my mount is adjustable so i may have to drop the height of the mount to compensate for this.

4. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Andrenchrome,

If your screen is truly vertical and the projector is ceiling mounted and set horizontal, you'd expect to be using a lot of lens shift, if not the projector is not firing perpendicular to the screen. which would give a different distance to each cormer of screen and different focus

I did a post under http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187884 the other day which may help.

Dave

5. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    after reading both threads I'm wondering if there is a link between the distoted bottom right edge in one post and the de foucssed top right in the other, could the lens shift twist the plane lens slightly to cause both problems

Dave

6. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Thanks Dave

I Notice you are using the lens shift do you notice the focus uniformity that i mention?

Adrenochrome.

7. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    Adrenochrome,

Glad you managed to get a replacement unit from Panasonic.

As you know I don't currently have my 700 linked up to a pc so its rare I have a static image in one of the corners to say if the focus is dead on or not. I have gone into the service menu on a couple of occassions though and the test patterns in there seem, to my memory at any rate, to be focused correctly. Have you tried the service patterns yourself ?

I will re-check the focusing on these patterns when i get home and add to this thread.

I use lens shift quite a bit on my unit to project over to my 92" screen.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

8. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Hi Keith,

You saw my 500 first hand :eek: I think it's safe to say it needed replacing.

It will be interesting to see my pc connected to yours though to check this.

Adrenochrome.

9. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    Yes your right the 500 did need replacing, that triangle in the lower left hand corner sort of detracted from the picture, good of them to give you a new 700 though.

You're more than welcome to bring the PC round anytime which is convenient to both. This weekend I'm away on my travels again, can't keep a good guy down.

I checked my service patterns and they all appear ok. I looked at a few test patterns from DVE from the DVD player connected via component and these appeared fine as well.

Give me a shout as and when you can bring the PC over.

Keith

10. bebbetufs

bebbetufs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is an old(ish) thread, but did you guys ever resolve the problem?
    I'm suffering from the same stuff. I'm thinking that it's not really a focus problem in my case, but a panel alignment problem that makes it seem like a lack of focus on one part of the screen.

I've attached a photo of my screen to show how it looks.
    Its a .psd file packed as a .zip to maintain maximum quality.
    Download image here