1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE700 fan noise (again)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pmc, Jun 9, 2005.

1. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I've posted threads on this before but it's been a while so here is another thread for any new owners or people who've started having the same problem.

Ever since I got it (last November) I have had problems with fan noise on my AE700. What happens is that I switch it on and it's great, very quiet. Then after a while, say 30 minutes to an hour it noticably increases in volume. You can actually here it ramping up. It then becomes distracting. After much experimention I discovered it's down to room temp. If the room is 22 degrees its fine. If it 23 degrees, it a problem. Now 23 degrees is a comfortable temprature for me and it doesn't seem like an unreasonable operating temp. So it was a problem in the winter due to the heating, went away in the spring, and is now back as the summer warms up.

I took it back to the shop but they couldn't reproduce the problem (this was before I knew about the temprature thing). I also contacted Panasonic and they have never heard of this issue so therefore deny all knowledge.

Has anyone else experianced this? I find it hard to believe I have the only unit with this problem. It would make it a lot easier to presuade Panasonic to do something about it if I knew other people had the same problem.

2. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I take it you have it set to Low Lamp mode and fan control on Normal ?

3. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    I have low lamp mode and normal setting.

Now that its summer my central heating is turned off, however whilst it was kicking in the projector fan certainly did go nuts. I expect the same come late autumn when i have to put the heating back on again. Ah well.

Whe your room is at 22 degrees whats the temp up by where the projector is postioned ?

KH

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    I think 23 degrees is pretty warm inside, and the AE700 is probably only protecting the lamp.

I manually speed up the fans in my HS50 when it starts getting warm, and I wish it had this automatic feature. You can't always control the temperature of your room in the summer, and the last thing I want is for someone to use the projector with the fans on low not realising that their cooking it!

Again though, I think 23 is very warm inside.... I've never measured it, but I would have thought its around 18 or 19 degrees at our place.

5. chriswhiteuk

chriswhiteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My room is roughly 24 degrees, and she howls like a banshee !

I've managed to combat this with a house fan on low, blowing in the general direction of the PJ - seems to calm it down a bit !

Chris

6. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Yeah lamp and fan are on low and it's in shelf mode.

That temprature reading is near the ait intake.

The low 20's don't seem that unreasonable to me. I could understand if it was closer to 30 (as it could get on a summer evening with no air con). But 23-23 degrees seems like a reasonable operating temprature.

Anyone want to buy a projector :(

7. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    In the hidden menu doesnt it tell us the temperature. System and Lamp (of the top of my head) and there is a 255 setting on the right? If i remember mine runs as 160 (the left hand figure)
    This is 71Celsius if im understanding this right so 255 setting on the right would be 124 Celsius!!
    But lamps do get hot and thats why they can suddenly pop if not cooled down corrrectly or switched on and off too often. Would like to know your running temps pmc
    btw
    i run mine in ceiling mode and dont have a problem. I do hear it a bit sometimes but my last pj was an Infocus and that was very loud indeed.

8. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I've found out a bit more about why my PJ gets noisy. In the service menu you can find the temperature at the air intake (temp2) and near the LCD panels (temp1). The LCD panels will gradually get hotter as the PJ is run. This is to be expected. The temp at the air intake should remain pretty constant though. It's basically your room temperature.

When I switch on the PJ temp1 is 160 and temp2 is 180. Temp1 then drops to 130 and it gets noisy (the lower the number the higher the temperature). However the temp2 drops to 160, i.e it thinks the temperature at the air intake is getting hotter. How is this possible? Has anyone else seen similar? Can anyone share what there PJ reports as being the temperature?