1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE700 component interlaced or PS

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by grey torq, Dec 6, 2004.

1. grey torq

grey torq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I noted one review of the ae700 recommended you turn off Prog scan from your DVD to send it an interlaced picture because the projectors own deinterlacer produces better results than having to scale a PS source.

Is this correct, does anyone have direct experience to verify one way or the other?

Would an expensive source like a Denon 2910 with latest fajawhatsisname chip be a waste of time - better an older model with a high quality interlaced o/p?

Thanks

Torq

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I can only go on my Infocus SP4805 which has a superb faroudja de-interlacer and displays a much better picture when sent an interlaced signal from my DVD player which is a progressive scan panasonic DVD player. I am not sure what de-interlacer is fitted to the AE700, but you should see the differences quite clearly if there are any. Just choose the image that looks best to you. Or are you deciding whether to buy the Denon or not? The Denon's faroudja is also superb and may well provide a better image used as prog scan than the AE700's. But try if you can before you buy !
    I may be proved wrong, but I believe that the Faroudja de-interlacer within the Denon is identical to the one in the Infocus which in turn is the same one found in their much more expensive SP7205. This de-interlacer is nearly as good as it gets currently on sub-£10k projectors so if this is what's in the Denon, then I'm pretty sure this will improve on the AE700's.
    This is a quote from a review of the AE700 at projector central:
    "Deinterlacing/scaling. Deinterlacing and scaling is accomplished with proprietary Panasonic video processing electronics. Deinterlacing of standard definition component video is good, and 3:2 pulldown compensation excellent. Picture stability was better when using interlaced input from the DVD player, and thus using the internal deinterlacing system, than it was when feeding progressive scan. A progressive scan signal produced a lot of combing artifacts that the internal deinterlacer neatly eliminated when the signal was switched from progressive back to interlaced. Results may vary based upon the DVD player you use, so try it both ways and go with the set up that looks the best to you."

As you can see, it says that the results may vary depending on the DVD player used. I still think the Denon will yield better results, but then again,

if you're getting the Denon, why not connect via HDMI anyway ?

3. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I have my ae700 connected via Componant leads direct to the DVD player.

I have tried playing my DVD's with the progressive scan feature turned on and off and I can comfortably state that my picture is better with it turned off.

It would seem the Projector does a very good job of this itself in my case.

As Oakleyspatz states, it might depend on which DVD player you have, so it's worth switching it over and having a play yourself, but I am working on the basis that having it turned ON on the DVD player, and then having it processed again by the projector is not working out for me.

I guess the boys at Panny have done a very good job with this feature. :thumbsup:

Mark

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Assuming that the 700 has the same de-interlace as the 300 I own I would go for a PS DVD deck as I saw a massive improvement in the image. Miles better......and thats just with a Sony DVP730, £130.00 online. :smashin:

Cap :)

5. Russ 66

Russ 66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +708
    The only real way is to try out both ways. I found I got a better picture from my 700 with my Pioneer 757AI set to progressive.

Russ

6. grey torq

grey torq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I am about to upgrade from my AE100 to the AE700 and I currently use an Arcam DV78 I guess I'll just try both prog and interlaced when my new PJ arrives and see which is best.