Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AE700 - Anyone tried that french Firmware update cable?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Podbod, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Podbod

Podbod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

Anyone tried to update their firmware with it? Was it successful? Was it easy etc?

Also, would anyone consider selling me one second hand? I'm a bit put off by a 2 week lead (pun unintentional) time on orders.

Cheers for any info,

Pod

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Best option is to find a service centre near you and wait while they do it for you. People have done that before, I cant believe there are many people out there willing to risk the projector for the sake of a little time....

3. Podbod

Podbod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I've talked to Panasonic and they've insisted that I have to send it away (I'm in london if anyone knows different). They've also estimated that it'll take 2->4 weeks and that I can't have a loan unit. Theres no way I'm going to go without it for that long.

Pod

4. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Same here - actually, even worse. My proj would have to be shipped to the UK first.

I'd rather try it myself (using a procedure which sounds very simple) than risk all the possible damage it could accumulate when passing through multiple couriers. Not to mention having to do without it for weeks.

How about a "powerbuy" for a cable :D Interested parties could chip in, and share the cost. 56 euro is a lot for a little cable you're only going to use once.

5. Podbod

Podbod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

Well I've taken the plunge. I re-read the forum where the creator hangs out and while it sometimes doesn't transfer at all (thus no breaking) its related to OS/settings. Doesn't bother me as i have loads of machines I can access ;)

I'll post on here when I've tried it but it wont be for 2 weeks (delivery time). I'd be happy to sell it on if it works.

I'm also going to do before and after shots for anyone whos still undecided if its worth it ;)

Pod

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I have one of these leads on order. I had a mail that it was shipped earlier this week so should arrive soon (I am in France).

I'll let you all know how I get on.

7. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I got my cable delivered a few weeks ago but hadn't got round to using it until today. It was all very straightforward. The instructions were clear & concise (albeit in French but no problem for me) http://kristahl.design.free.fr/inde...file=VideoAdvancedUsexx2dPTAE700xx2dFRcc46stf

The firmware is upgraded with the projector in standby. It took about 3 minutes to copy the firmware across then it was power off, power on & check that it had actually upgraded. My PJ was delivered with 1.05 & I upgrdaded to 1.07.

Haven't used the PJ yet to see what if any difference there is but at least I saved myself the hassle of having Panasonic do the update for me plus possibly being without the PJ for days or weeks.

8. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    For some reason my post from yesterday doesn't show up as new. Seems that these forums have been totally buggered the last few days.

9. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good to hear, thanks.

BTW are you planning to keep that cable :)

10. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I could rent it out or perhaps fellow PT-AE700 owners would like to join me in a cable cooperative with a suitable cash injection? Although given that the PJ is end of life now & there hasn't been a new firmware release for many months I will probably never need it again so perhaps I should just sell it at cost?

11. Podbod

Podbod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine today. Tried it under xp. No joy. Tried lots of different settings. None worked. Checked the projector. Still working.
    Installed 98. Tried again. No joy. Tried changing settings. No joy.
    And thats where I found that the projector wont turn on. Ho hum. 4 weeks with no TV for me as I wait for panny to fix it. :( (Not that its a big deal, it'd take them 4 weeks to upgrade the firmware anyway)

Pod