1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE500 Vertical Banding Cure ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by paulfoley, Sep 20, 2004.

1. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Got an AE500 with 96" Screen & Hoya FL Filter. Feeding it with a Sony DVP NS930 Progressive Scan Player / JVC High Definition DVHS Player via 5M Cabletalk Component Cables.

Tried the flicker tweak & numerous picture adjustments but still have about 4 nasty vertical lines that are spoiling my enjoyment, other than that the PQ is superb.

Owner over at AVS Forums reckons that VB can be completely removed using the following method (but only on the VGA Input) :

Finally got rid of the VB with the standard flicker tweak and in the setup menu there is an option for Auto setup (Normal) or (Special).

Go to Option>OSD>Hold down ENTER>AUTO SETUP>drop down menu>SPECIAL: Back to POSITION Menu>AUTO SETUP =VB Gone!!

I have not read anything on this option but thought I'd try it anyway and could not believe my eyes while I had the Nokia test pattern up and hit the auto set up button after switching it to (SPECIAL).....it went through a short cycle of picture adjustment and the VB was gone!!! I do think it had found perfect 1 to 1 pixel map.

Anyway, the text / picture are crystal clear and the picture is excellent on regular DVD and HDTV. The difference is amazing.

1) Anyone tried this, did it work ?

2) Anybody find that switching to DVI Input removed VB ?

3) Anybody have any other suggestions e.g. one owner suggested that VB was caused by a dirty power source. Think he was suggesting that buying a Mains Filter that removes RFI,EMI,Spikes, etc may help ?

Cheers everyone !

2. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You can MINIMIZE it with the flicker tweak indeed.....but not get rid of it completely as it is a characteristic of the Epson D4 LCD panels mentioned on this forum in the past.

BUT......contrary to what other people have said, i have found that by adjusting the DESK and CEILING screens ( all colours ) so that not ALL of them STOP flickering - makes a big difference.....

So, if the above sounds confusing, try this :

Go do the flicker tweak again, adjust ALL screens so that they show NO flicker, THEN, adjust two or so screens JUST off to the left or right of the NO flicker setting - do this by trial and error and see which ones give you minimal VB, I'm sure you will see a big improvement. :lesson:

Cheers Mate !

:smashin:

3. Polo

Polo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, I'll give it a try & feedback.

Of course if the Auto Setup trick over VGA does actually work & removes all traces of VB then I still will have a problem getting my Component signals (1080i & 525/625p) into the VGA Port. As far as I can see from the manual it will not accept the 525 & 625 signals as they are but would need some additional processing. It looks as though it will take 1080i via VGA as it is though - Can anybody confirm my understanding of this & possibly recomend some leads / convertors ?

:thumbsup: