1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE500 Setup problem or projector problem?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Norr, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Norr

Norr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks!

Bought an AE 500 a few weeks back and have only recently had time to view with it. Although the picture is sharp it looks as though I am viewing it through a dirty piece of clear film with faint vertical brush lines all over it.

It’s as though someone has painted clear varnish over the lcd display matrix and left very light brush lines/streaks on it which are being projected along with every image.

Changing the source inputs from Scart - S-vhs & composite make no difference to the vertical brush lines being displayed. Selecting blue screen with no input connected I can still identify blotchy streaks which makes me think it must be within the AE 500 itself.

Projecting a 72”screen onto a flat matt white wall sitting about 2.5 times width distance away The vertical lines/streaks are more noticeable on facial scenes or large areas of one colour..

So, Question is.

Is this a setup problem or a projector problem? Or just normal on LCD projectors!

Ronn

PS
    Anyone got an AE500 in the Kilmarnock/Glasgow area available for a comparison.

2. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Falkirk area if you want to come have a look.

Adrenochrome.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the dreaded "vertical banding" or "FPN" often talked about here.

Definitely not your equipment but 100% the projector.

Many LCDs have this & it's one thing I can't stand. My HS10 is thankfully perfect in this area.

The panels used in the AE500, Sanyo Z2 & Epson are responsible. Some units are worse than others. It does sound like you've been unlucky & gotten one of the worst ones.

Z2 owners can "tweak" this out to a certain degree in the service menu. I'm not sure if this is possible on the AE500 though. Worth a search & if no luck here, try avsforum.

:smoke:

4. chrisgriffiths

chrisgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lots of info to find on avsforum, but i think heres the main points...

There is a Flicker tweak on the AE500 that can help a lot. Go into the menu and go into options, press enter on OSD for about 5 secs. In the new menu that appears go to the Flicker section and press enter - for each color press left or right till its stabilises, press up and down to change colors. This can help minimise the effect. Green is the most noticable problem color. Press menu to exit.

Always wait for the PJ to warm up for 30 mins or so first, before doing the tweak, as the VB is more noticable when first turned on. And also make a note of the settings before you change anything. (just in case)

Dont know if it was placebo effect but i recently change my cheap 4 way for a better quality 6 way power supply with surge protect etc and this seems to have lessened the effect. Again, this may have been placebo.

You should be able to reduce it to the extent you don't notice it during a film unless you specifically look for it.

If you have the Two Towers DVD, a good scene to show VB is chapter 5 - The 3 Hunters or summat, very close to the beginning where Aragorn says to Legolas - "what do your elf eyes see?", there is a long pan shot, where VB is quite visible.

Other than that, don't look for it :smashin:

5. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Have AE500.
    No vertical banding whatsoever.
    Only very slight oddity is scanlines seen every now and then but this isn't even much of a problem and is only there if you look hard for it.
    Basically, if vb was 'inherent' in the lcd system, ALL Ae500 projectors would have it, but mine doesn't, so it might be worth getting yours checked out / serviced????

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Same here. No vertical banding. At the end of the day if it is as serious as you say I would try returning it under warranty.

7. Norr

Norr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply guy’s. I thought VB was produced by electrical interference and moved across the screen. These lines are fixed.

I tried tweaking the Gamma which helped a bit, maybe the menu in the OSD will do the trick, but you know what its like once you notice the smallest thing it drives you crazy.

Adrenochrome has kindly offered a quick comparison which I think will be the best way of measuring the severity of my problem. Maybe its just me!

Will have a look at the two towers tonight Chris and use it as a bench mark.

Ronn.

8. andrew constant

andrew constant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i two own a ae500 and have noticed the same vb , to me it looks like an oil paintings canvas.

9. Norr

Norr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried the Flicker tweak on the OSD menu seems to have helped considerably.

The lines/streaks are now a lot less obvious whilst watching the Two Towers. But! they can be seen quite plainly on the green and white screen in the service menu.

Is there any point in trying to achieve a better quality picture using component or do you think this may just make the VB more apparent. Any thoughts?

Ronn

10. Kefmad Rich

Kefmad Rich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I,ve had my AE-500 for a couple of weeks now and think it is quite bad with VB, mostly whilst watching football on sky.

Hi,adrenochrome,

I stay in Edinburgh , is your offer to compare the picture on your PJ an open one, as this VB is really bugging me now.

If this proves mine is bad I think I,ll try an get it replaced.

Richie.

11. mooro1973

mooro1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I have had my panny 500 for five days now.

Used to have an old barco 800 graphics crt.

For the effort/picture quality ratio, i far prefer the panny.

I have no vb. Do have some dust blolbs, but John at krishav has promised to replace the projector if I cant move these.

I do notice quite alot of noise on the projector though, round titles for example. Also though it is claimed the 500 does not have screendoor it definately does, I can notice it in most films and on the "two towers" it is most noticeble.

I am going to try different inputs. Was going to upgrade from the free 5ft6inch panny screen to a 6ft6 one, but dont want to if it is going to make this problem worse. Incidentally I don't notice the same prob on sky.

Overall an amazing projector for the price and John from krishav deliverd it in 2hrs30mins as he only lives in the town next to me!

mooro

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Whats your source for the footy ? RGB output from Sky box is known to be pretty bad in fairness and football as a source shows up source quality horrendously even on high quality kit (Plasmas are a notable example)

I havent tried mine with TV as a source yet but I am not expecting the quality on Sky sports to be fantastic to be honest certainly not up there with a decent crt set / plasma.

I would be very interested to here other owners options on this that use there PJ to watch the footy.

It might be a problem with your PJ I am not an expert but part of the problem with this kit is that people expect the quality on these things to be as good as a good quality CRT TV on everything they watch.

Just aint going to happen. In my case I am putting out a picture about 4 times the size of my 42" Plasma, any imprefections in the source are therefore totally apparent and with something like football the source is often far from perfect.

It would also be interesting if you can compare against another ae 500 owners setup to see if indeed they are getting a better picture. I will watch this with interest.

13. mooro1973

mooro1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Quick footy question.

Noticed this with the bbc rugby on saturday night, via sky box.

When the game started the picture went to 4:3 aspect, and back to 16:9 at half time etc.

Is there anyway to force the game itself into a 16:9 aspect ratio?

mooro

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Presumably that is because the game broadcast wasnt in in wide screen format but the commentary at half time was.

You see this alot with the champions league on ITV. Absolutely naff foreign sports broadcast.

15. Kefmad Rich

Kefmad Rich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I,ve tried both S-Video and RGB from SKY+ box, both seem as bad. The largest part of the picture (grass ) seems to really be a problem.

I realise SKY is not as good as DVD via component, but I don,t believe the difference should cause the VB to be so apparent.

I normally use a Toshiba 50" RPTV and picture from SKY is quite good.

One thing I might try is to convert the SKY+ to component and see if that makes any difference.

Richie.

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I dont think that will help but you could try it. I am quite suprised you are getting a good picture on a 50" RPTV to be honest but that is another story.

I would like to be able to get mine connected up to watch the footy on Wednesday. Maybe I will but we are having the loft converted at the moment and there is dust everywhere.

Might not be a good idea with the dust problems people are having but you have got me really interested now, could risk it.

Comming to think of it I did try Sky briefly when I first got the ae500. We watched top of the pops (I know my Mrs
    :rolleyes: ) and Mtv Cribs for an hour or so. I must say this was not an ideal trial either. It was keystoned to the max pretty much as I cant properly set it up in the lounge. And it was connected via an rgb swith and a 5m scart cable (Although a very good scart cable)

Picture was excellent and No VB. It is a real pain. I need to get mine properly setup so I can properly field this stuff but completion of my viewing room is still 4 weeks away :(

17. Kefmad Rich

Kefmad Rich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the difference is less obvious on the Toshiba.

Some SKY programmes are ok on the PJ, but the footie is ruined by VB.

It is there on DVD, but not as bad.

18. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I don't think the type of source (Sky, DVD, game console) affects VB, I think it's more to do with the colour and tone of the image. VB, in my experience is next to invisible on boldly coloured, very bright or for that matter very dark patches of colour. Where it leaps out at you is muted, washed-out and grey patches. The classic scene everyone talks about is in Two Towers when Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are running along tracking Merry and Pippin. The sky at one point is just after dawn and VB will scream at you. Perhaps the reason you see it with fotball is not because it's Sky per se but just because of the crappy British climate (grey skies)?

If you watch something more richly coloured (most animation for example) you could be left thinking you had no VB. Anyway now you 500 users who think you don't have a problem know how to find it, go look and let us know how you get on. Here's hoping you find some VB so I'll feel happier about both my AE500s (that have had it quite badly - at least by my eyes) hehe. :)

Another hair brained theory I have is that those of us who see it may be sitting too close, as I noticed if I backed up a couple of feet it practically disappeared.

19. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I use my AE500 to watch football on sky, I have analogue cable connected by RF (only option) to a video then scart into the PJ.

Sky's PQ varies greatly, the Leeds game on saturday was awful, the screen looked a complete mess with all the player shirts looking blurred onto the colour of the pitch. Spanish football is also really bad for that. The sunday Arsenal game though was much better, far from perfect but about 30% PQ improvement to my eyes.

I have noticed a little of this VB in places, not enough to spoil enjoyment though.

20. mooro1973

mooro1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    No sorry, I have no VB visibal to my eyes and I'm certainly not going to go looking for it either!

I have watched a couple of games of footy and have seen no vb on this.

Incidentally, last night I hooked the projector up via s-video to the pc. Now initself that is a long story and it looks like HTPC is going to take a long time to master, but it may be worth it: thought the colours were way to bright etc, I could see no digital artefacts whatsoever. Im going to get a DVI cable to see how good it is on that.

I would love to see how good this projector could look with dvi , 1-1 mapping and a good source.

mooro

21. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    adrenochrome

You say you live in the Falkirk area. I too live here and am looking to purchase an AE500. If you would care to extend your invite to me to take a look at the unit I would appreciate it, as well as supply free beer :)

Keith

22. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Norr, Kefmad Rich and Keith Hurst if you could all pm me with suitable days and times you would like to view my pj i shall try to arrange a one off time to suit everyone.

Adrenochrome.

23. Kefmad Rich

Kefmad Rich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Thanks for your kind offer.

I,ve sent you PM.

Many Thanks.

Richie.

24. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    damn - ae500 is now £1121, thats a pretty hefty increase in price and they still have to ae500's in stock...

25. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I thought that might happen. High demand for these units. Didnt make sense for them to sell them £100 odd quid less that most other retailers.

Glad I got in early doors :smoke: