AE500 projector..Which DVD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by (GTV)Chris, Apr 22, 2004.

1. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK, I am getting tired of HCPC's, I am forever having to upgrade, re format...buy things etc and I am getting fed up with it all, even though I think the picture quality is superb.

I have heard that with a good Progressive DVD player you can acheive results on a par with HCPC?

If this is the case what unit should I go for.???

I recently bought a YAMAHA S540 which is progressive in both NTSC and PAL.
    But there is still ringing on the image and I don't think it is particularly good.

If I had up to £300 to spend...Is there a unit that would satisfy my needs.

Cheers

Chris

2. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What If i used an i-scan with the Yamaha or the cheaper deinterlacer available at SCAN??

3. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi Chris
    I think your best bet would to go for a player with HDMI or dvi output, I read that zandy1 felt he was getting 95% of the performance he would have got from his hcpc with the Yamakawa 365 via dvi @ 720p

:)

4. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply...
    The only problem I have with that Is that I would have to hack the walls and ceiling open :(
    And mrs wifey...she say NO.
    And it is partly to do with her that I wan't to try a different approach than the HCPC :(

5. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi Chris
    I'll take it that all your cables are prewired into your walls & ceiling. You could always buy the player see if you perferr the pq to your hcpc, and if you do like it just hide the new cable with trunking and then paint it to match your room

6. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Maybe, It's an awkward layout our room.
    I don't know if there are many places who do try and buy?
    Are DVI cables expensive...I would need 10 metres.

Ta
    C

7. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    You could always see if anyone on the forums is willing to bring over their dvd player so you could try it out.

With regards to dvi cables a 10m premium dvi-d cable from lindy is £36.75, but remember some people have had problems with dvi lenghts over 7.5m seeing sparkles on the pq

:)

8. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Chris,
    I had a loan toshiba ET-1 projector last night and set up my S540 for both prog scan and interlaced, I couldn't see any ringing on subtitles.
    Is this a projector player mis match or could I maybe not enabled a setting on ET-1? The screen flicked when selecting prog scan but I couldn't tell any difference. This is my first time using a projector and component DVD.

9. alfalfa

alfalfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Momitsu V880 running with my AE500: essentially the same player as the Yamakawa 365. It includes a dual-format DVI-I connection, so can connect to the AE500 with a DVI-D cable for a purely digital connection, or (using a cheap DVI-to-VGA adapter) to the AE500 using normal PC VGA (D-SUB) cables. I'm assuming this is the connection you're using now if you thought you would have to pull out your current cables?

The Momitsu (and presumably the Yamakawa) also allows custom resolutions, which means you can bypass the AE500's internal scaler and use the (much better) Sigma Designs scaler in the DVD player. This eliminates scaler concatination that you would get if you simply set the player's output to upscaled 720p and 1080i as you would with something like the Samsung 935/937 upscaling DVI player (although you can do that too if you really wanted to), and gives a much smoother picture.

I went from a Sony NS900V and Philips 963SA to the (much cheaper) Momitsu and the improvement in picture quality using DVI was easy to see. The only downside to the player (apart from its mediocre build quality and diabolical remote) is that the de-interlacer is flag-based, so PAL DVDs can be a bit hit-and-miss as they're virtually never flagged correctly.

Still, the Yamakawa and Momitsu are incredible value for money considering the picture quality and features they offer (and they include what Joe Kane and SHHF regard as the best domestic MPEG decoder on the market). I wrote about my experience with the Momitsu and AE500 on my homepage here if you're interested.

Adam

11. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks fella's,
    Food for thought there.

Cheers

Chris