1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE500 problem with what looks like condensate in the inner lens?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rogeralpine, Sep 28, 2004.

1. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, just got hold of a 2nd hand AE500 and I've noticed what looks like condensate on the inner lens.

Firstly, is this common and is it easy to remove. I'm 99.9% certain it's not condensation, but looking at it that's the best description I can give. How exactly has the inner lens got cloudy markings like this?

By the looks of it, the picture qual is not affected but I know - having had the 100 b4 it - that such "marks" on the inner lens should not be there.

Does the lens housing screw open to enable access and cleaning? I'm quite bemused as to how the clouding has occurred as the lens unit looks sealed to me. (To be more precise - behind the main lens which is "open to the elements" is a small gap of a couple of cm and then there is a further lens - this is the one that looks cloudy.)

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Do you know who you bought it from (here or eBay, haven't been following the classifieds...)? Have they any comment ? Any chance it was "air dusted" and some propellant might have got in ? If the picture quality is unaffected (you can't see any clouding etc. on screen) then doesn't sound like it should be much of an issue, although I would have thought it would be mentioned in a private sale........

S.

3. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will check with the seller Ritz.

More than anything it's just a small annoyance me knowing that the inners lens is clouded - albeit faintly. The PJ is also still under warranty, so if it's not "human interferance" I would expect Panasonic would sort it. I still can't see how "human interference" could cause this problem - I can't see anyway into the lens housing - it should be completely sealed anyway.

4. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    He purchased it from me,it would have been mentioned in a private sale if I'd ever noticed anything like that you can rest assured,I would never sell anything I thought may be faulty,I take pride in my trader ratings on the numerous forums I use and I certainly wouldnt have let mike travel all that way to view and buy if I thought there was a problem.

The pj hasnt been tampered with in anyway since purchase,its been positioned in exactly the same place from new,if you go to the sale thread I made it clear it had a couple of dust blobs which I refused to clear for fear of causing damage on opening it up.

I cant say i ever looked into the lens closely,but I didint notice any image problems that could relate to this myself so I dont know what to make of it,as far I was aware the thing was in pristine condition.

Wij

5. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying Wij - PM as well - tbh, I'm not surprised you didn't notice it - when the machine is off you can't see it and thinking about where you had the PJ positioned (on the ceiling) it's no real surprise you haven't noticed it.

As I said, the image appears to be pristine so whatever it is there's no apparent evidence of it on a projected image.

I'll let you know how I get on - in the meantime, does anyone have a clue what it could be?

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Did the previous owner smoke?
    You might find that the optics are not all glass at this price point and the slight cloudy marks are just the reaction to the very bright light passed through the lens.... I wouldn't worry too much as picture quality seems unaffected though. BTW, "sealed light engines" don't necessarily include the lens itself, dust and "smoke" can get inside and taking a lens apart is not recommended.....

7. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty certain Wij doesn't smoke - although I'm sure he'll confirm!!

I'll take your advice as well Graham and leave the lens alone!!