Quantcast

AE500 or HS20 ?

o0OBoBO0o

I'm a bit new to this and have been lurking for along time, I have narrowed my choice down to 2 projectors, the AE500 from krishav or the HS20 from discounttv, I will hopefully be watching DVD via a DVI enabled player or go the HTPC route.

I guess the big question is, "is the HS20 worth £300 more than the AE500" i'm already pushing my budget at £1200 for the AE500 but would happily pay another £300 for the HS20 if its worth it.

I'm in this for the long haul and am looking to the future when HD DVD and WM9 media are more available.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks

BoBBoB

clancol

YES YES And another resound YES .
I don't think anyone in their right mind would pick the ae500 over the hs20 when their is just £300 difference. Unless the ae500 is the absolute max that they can afford.

If you can afford the extra £300 then go for it. The hs20 is in a different leage. Plus the hs20 has HDMI for the future.

I have the hs10 (the previous model to the hs20) and it is my opinion and many others on this forum, That the hs10 beats the ae500 and z2 hand down so the hs20 is a sure thing.
Hope you enjoy your new projecter whatever you get.

It's always a buzz showing Freinds and family that you have a 6ft screen, and that you paid much less, than a #### Plasma

S

spacekdet69

hi
will let you know, am waiting on my hs20 which i have purchased blind. should be here tomorrow but have no screen as yet, i did see the ae500 connected via hdmi-dvi and also component..... big difference in pq.
best wishes
nick.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
I would love a HS20.
But the thing that ruins it for me is it's LONG Throw.

I wonder why they don't make a short throw version. After all it's easy to put a projector CLOSER to the screen, but impossible to put it FURTHER AWAY than your back wall.

S

spacekdet69

hi
think they do a short throw lense for the hs20... although though this would be an additional cost...
best wishes
nick.

S

spacekdet69

Originally posted by o0OBoBO0o
**** never thought about throw, is there a calculator thingy anywhere ?

Thanks

BoBBoB

Click here: LCD, DLP and LCOS Projectors - Free Consumer info on all projectors.

projector central.
best wishes
nick

Drew C

Spacekdet, did you mean there was a big difference in the picture when changing from component to dvi/hdmi? If 'home cinema choice's review is anything to go by, this is the case.

Bobbob, there's a throw calculator at Projectorcentral.

S

spacekdet69

Originally posted by spacekdet69
Click here: LCD, DLP and LCOS Projectors - Free Consumer info on all projectors.

projector central.
best wishes
nick

S

spacekdet69

Originally posted by Drew C
Spacekdet, did you mean there was a big difference in the picture when changing from component to dvi/hdmi? If 'home cinema choice's review is anything to go by, this is the case.

Bobbob, there's a throw calculator at Projectorcentral.
hi
yes there was a major difference in pq....more detail was the most obvious change and the picture was alot sharper..aint no expert...but have seen a few dlp and lcd pjs.. diff was clear to me. kit was pioneer 868-panny 500-and free screen.
best wishes
nick.

benji_m

Novice Member
I was often asked (and often demoed) the difference between the two, and a lot of people made the jump at the previous price points!

Really can't emphasise enough the quality of the 20 for this kind of £££

Cheers

V

Venom1969

Originally posted by spacekdet69
hi
think they do a short throw lense for the hs20... although though this would be an additional cost...
best wishes
nick.
It can be yours for €1000 or £700, not great value I must admit.

clancol

Yea the lens was a big factor in my choice of a hs10. With the projecter on a back wall shelf, i could JUST get a 82 inch picture with the lenz zoom all the way out.
Ended up spending less than i would have for a z2 or ae500 because i could use a shelf instead of ceiling bracket.
I think it was 2.8 meter throw

harrisuk

Novice Member
There is no doubting its a great projector. But long throw means it is not suitable for many peoples viewing rooms, mine included.

I have the hs10 (the previous model to the hs20) and it is my opinion and many others on this forum, That the hs10 beats the ae500 and z2 hand down
Well the hs10 owners would think that wouldnt they :rolleyes:

Y

yellowbug

Clancol what was preventing the use of a shelf for the AE500?

Ade

clancol

Availability. It wasn't out when i got my hs10.

I think it would have had to go on a bracket anyway, as the throw for my ideal screen size would put it in the middle of the room.

Dc.

clancol

Originally posted by harrisuk

Well the hs10 owners would think that wouldnt they :rolleyes:
And im sure, had you been able to acomodate the throw of the hs10/20, that you would own one, instead of an AE500.:p

M

Marcel99

Does the fact that the AE500 has progressive scan and the HS20 doesn't make any real difference to anyone's views? Buying a new PJ and have a prog scan DVD player so want to know if it's essential to use.

S

spacekdet69

Originally posted by Marcel99
Does the fact that the AE500 has progressive scan and the HS20 doesn't make any real difference to anyone's views? Buying a new PJ and have a prog scan DVD player so want to know if it's essential to use.
hi
my hs20 arrived yesterday morning.
have watched a couple of films on it. i have a pioneer 737, and am using the free component lead that comes with the pj. not really messed about with the settings to much so could say almost factory settings(and probably wont heeehe)
but i can tell you that there is a big diff in pq between... ntsc pro scan and a pal disk with no pro scan.
pq much much better with pro scan.
best wishes aand regards
nick.

M

Marcel99

Originally posted by o0OBoBO0o
I might be wrong but the HS20 does support progressive scan on both PAL and NTSC !
Fantastic - I know what I'll be buying then!!:clap:

harrisuk

Novice Member
And im sure, had you been able to acomodate the throw of the hs10/20, that you would own one, instead of an AE500.
Well no actually. They were £2500 at the time (HS20). As I have said before. Look at the projector poll the vast majority of projectors are short throw. I know someone who has a HS10, sorry I dont agree it produces a better picture than an ae500 :p

Most people cant accomodate the throw on these things, just the way it is. They are good projectors though.

sneaky

Standard Member
Dont really understand why there is an issue about the throw of the HS20.

How small are your rooms?

My room is only 11ft, the projector lens is 10ft from the screen and I can get a screen size of about 6ft even though I have decided on a 5ft screen. If I want to make the picture look bigger I just move the settee in a little bit.

The HS20 is definately not long throw - more of a mid throw.

So I dont really understand what the problem is.

Benjii please stop rubbing it in that you are selling them for £1500.

Chris

S

spacekdet69

Originally posted by harrisuk
Well no actually. They were £2500 at the time (HS20). As I have said before. Look at the projector poll the vast majority of projectors are short throw. I know someone who has a HS10, sorry I dont agree it produces a better picture than an ae500 :p

Most people cant accomodate the throw on these things, just the way it is. They are good projectors though.
hi
havent seen the hs10, but can tell you that a £1500 HS20 would win hands down IMO.:p
best wishes and regards
nick.