1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE500 or HS20 ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by o0OBoBO0o, Apr 30, 2004.

1. o0OBoBO0o

o0OBoBO0o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm a bit new to this and have been lurking for along time, I have narrowed my choice down to 2 projectors, the AE500 from krishav or the HS20 from discounttv, I will hopefully be watching DVD via a DVI enabled player or go the HTPC route.

I guess the big question is, "is the HS20 worth £300 more than the AE500" i'm already pushing my budget at £1200 for the AE500 but would happily pay another £300 for the HS20 if its worth it.

I'm in this for the long haul and am looking to the future when HD DVD and WM9 media are more available.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks

BoBBoB

2. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    YES YES And another resound YES .
    I don't think anyone in their right mind would pick the ae500 over the hs20 when their is just £300 difference. Unless the ae500 is the absolute max that they can afford.

If you can afford the extra £300 then go for it. The hs20 is in a different leage. Plus the hs20 has HDMI for the future.

I have the hs10 (the previous model to the hs20) and it is my opinion and many others on this forum, That the hs10 beats the ae500 and z2 hand down so the hs20 is a sure thing.
    Hope you enjoy your new projecter whatever you get.

It's always a buzz showing Freinds and family that you have a 6ft screen, and that you paid much less, than a #### Plasma

3. o0OBoBO0o

o0OBoBO0o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cheers, thanks for the input, just need to get sign-off from the boss for the extra cash :)

4. spacekdet69

spacekdet69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    will let you know, am waiting on my hs20 which i have purchased blind. should be here tomorrow but have no screen as yet, i did see the ae500 connected via hdmi-dvi and also component..... big difference in pq.
    best wishes
    nick.

5. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    I would love a HS20.
    But the thing that ruins it for me is it's LONG Throw.

I wonder why they don't make a short throw version. After all it's easy to put a projector CLOSER to the screen, but impossible to put it FURTHER AWAY than your back wall.

6. o0OBoBO0o

o0OBoBO0o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    **** never thought about throw, is there a calculator thingy anywhere ?

Thanks

BoBBoB

7. spacekdet69

spacekdet69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    think they do a short throw lense for the hs20... although though this would be an additional cost...
    best wishes
    nick.

8. spacekdet69

spacekdet69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Click here: LCD, DLP and LCOS Projectors - Free Consumer info on all projectors.

projector central.
    best wishes
    nick

9. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Spacekdet, did you mean there was a big difference in the picture when changing from component to dvi/hdmi? If 'home cinema choice's review is anything to go by, this is the case.

Bobbob, there's a throw calculator at Projectorcentral.

10. spacekdet69

spacekdet69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

11. spacekdet69

spacekdet69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    yes there was a major difference in pq....more detail was the most obvious change and the picture was alot sharper..aint no expert...but have seen a few dlp and lcd pjs.. diff was clear to me. kit was pioneer 868-panny 500-and free screen.
    best wishes
    nick.

12. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was often asked (and often demoed) the difference between the two, and a lot of people made the jump at the previous price points!

Really can't emphasise enough the quality of the 20 for this kind of £££

Cheers

13. Venom1969

Venom1969

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It can be yours for €1000 or £700, not great value I must admit.

14. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yea the lens was a big factor in my choice of a hs10. With the projecter on a back wall shelf, i could JUST get a 82 inch picture with the lenz zoom all the way out.
    Ended up spending less than i would have for a z2 or ae500 because i could use a shelf instead of ceiling bracket.
    I think it was 2.8 meter throw

15. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There is no doubting its a great projector. But long throw means it is not suitable for many peoples viewing rooms, mine included.

Well the hs10 owners would think that wouldnt they :rolleyes:

16. yellowbug

yellowbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clancol what was preventing the use of a shelf for the AE500?

Ade

17. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Availability. It wasn't out when i got my hs10.

I think it would have had to go on a bracket anyway, as the throw for my ideal screen size would put it in the middle of the room.

Dc.

18. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    And im sure, had you been able to acomodate the throw of the hs10/20, that you would own one, instead of an AE500.:p

19. Marcel99

Marcel99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the fact that the AE500 has progressive scan and the HS20 doesn't make any real difference to anyone's views? Buying a new PJ and have a prog scan DVD player so want to know if it's essential to use.

20. o0OBoBO0o

o0OBoBO0o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I might be wrong but the HS20 does support progressive scan on both PAL and NTSC !

21. spacekdet69

spacekdet69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    my hs20 arrived yesterday morning.
    have watched a couple of films on it. i have a pioneer 737, and am using the free component lead that comes with the pj. not really messed about with the settings to much so could say almost factory settings(and probably wont heeehe)
    but i can tell you that there is a big diff in pq between... ntsc pro scan and a pal disk with no pro scan.
    pq much much better with pro scan.
    best wishes aand regards
    nick.

22. Marcel99

Marcel99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic - I know what I'll be buying then!!:clap:

23. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well no actually. They were £2500 at the time (HS20). As I have said before. Look at the projector poll the vast majority of projectors are short throw. I know someone who has a HS10, sorry I dont agree it produces a better picture than an ae500 :p

Most people cant accomodate the throw on these things, just the way it is. They are good projectors though.

24. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont really understand why there is an issue about the throw of the HS20.

How small are your rooms?

My room is only 11ft, the projector lens is 10ft from the screen and I can get a screen size of about 6ft even though I have decided on a 5ft screen. If I want to make the picture look bigger I just move the settee in a little bit.

The HS20 is definately not long throw - more of a mid throw.

So I dont really understand what the problem is.

Benjii please stop rubbing it in that you are selling them for £1500.

Chris

25. spacekdet69

spacekdet69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    havent seen the hs10, but can tell you that a £1500 HS20 would win hands down IMO.:p
    best wishes and regards
    nick.

26. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Picked up a HS20 yesterday, glad to say no DPC's and colour uniformity looks near on perfect. Convergence is the common one pixel out, (but this was to be expected) and is a non issue from viewing distance.

Ok since I've got both of these PJ's I thought I'd just share my thoughts on both. Seems to appear that since the price drop of the HS20 to circa £1500 the concensus seems to be a no brainer in it's favour.

Personally I definitely don't think it's anyway near as clearcut as that !!!

The Panasonic does have the shorter throw, smaller footprint, cheaper running costs and scart going for it.

The Sony is quite a big heavy machine and the throw may not suit everyones rooms though it does have HDMI.

I feed them via a Tosh SD900 and SD9000 through component. As far as I can see on my set up for Pic quality it's 6 of one and 1/2 a dozen of another. Both PJ's have excellent tweaks available to get the pic as you like it. I would guess fed through HTPC it would be pretty difficult to say one was convincingly better than the other.

It obviously comes down to personal opinions on this one. The Sony seems a bargain for it's price drop, but TBH it was becoming a bit out to sea at £2k with an RRP of £2700 ! Typical Sony pricing really.

The Panasonic on the other hand can be had for circa £1100 and with the £400 you still save, well that can be put towards a £499 Arcam 88+ for example. Result, £1600 for a set up of that stature is quite a serious entry into LCD projection and is not something to be dismissive of. It does put the £1500 HS20 firmly back in it's box really, cos up against that it is not the bargain it may initially seem.

I would say the AE500 is the better value and the Sony simply now more realistically priced.

27. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    All I will say is that the numbers dont lie. Look at the projector pole. The vast majority of new Lcd projectors are ae500 and z2.
    People are buying these things for a reason. They are reasonably priced and when setup correctly produce excellent results.

28. sapgem

sapgem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the major price drop on the HS20 is so recent that its had little chance to affect what people have.

Personally still trying to decide between the HS20, Z2, H30 and possibly the new Hitachi. With throw slightly favouring the HS20 for me + using HTPC as input (so i can use most of the HS20's slightly better resolution) the HS20 is marginal favourite. However, if the Z2, H30 or a well reviewed Hitachi were £1k then the HS20 would lose.

It seems like a hard decision, but i guess at the end of the day they'd all blow me away.

29. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    But it still costs 50% more.......

30. spacekdet69

spacekdet69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

sapgem go demo some units if you can, thats what i did.
    just remember that everything you read in this forum is just some ones opinion, although they are very very helpfull in some regards. only your opinion is the most important when it comes to a purchase........
    get demoing NOW.
    be blown away and enjoy it.
    best wishes and regards
    nick.