1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE500 or AE700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by patt, Nov 18, 2004.

1. patt

patt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi i would like to know if the 700 has a better picture than 500 for the extra amount, im not interested in any of the 700s features.

I have a 100 but the black levels i find are poor has the 500 got better

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Not including the one problem that many owners are complaining of , that being Verticle Banding ( VB), the picture of the AE700 is supposed to be a marked improvement on the AE500. Not everyone seems to have the VB problem, but enough to warrant close demo inspection before parting with any cash !!

3. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Got to say, just watched Troy on my nice new shiny ae700 and it was excellent. Well worth every penny IMHO.

:smashin:

4. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I got a Panny 100 as well in a second system and noticed the same, try a FL-Day Hoya filter lens as i was surprised who much the blacker the blacks are now with it. Cheap but effective and given the current rate at which projectors are evolving its probably worth waiting out.

5. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,140
    Cooper that was the first film i also watched on my ae700,was blown away outstanding picture. :clap:

6. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I'm setting up my Pro-V+ box this weekend with a 15m VGA lead, so I will have prog scan as well for DVD, Sky and Video.

Will report on black levels if there is any difference then (don't know yet).

Am also going to gey a 77mm Hoya filter ASAP as it made a huge difference to my ae100.

I will be popping round to another member's house to see his ae500 in action soon, so will try to report back the diffs when I see them for myself.

Update - just ordered my Hoya filter (the wife will kill me - perhaps it can be my Christmas present).

Can't wait till it arrives and I can get everything properly set-up. It's fab now, I can't imagine what it will be like with deeper blacks and more cinematic picture with the filter added.

7. patt

patt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    HI cooper can you tell me were i can get a hoya filter from thanks

8. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sorry to jump in on this thread, I got mine from jessops in Manchester , try ringing your local Jessops. I paid £18.99 for a 52 mm FL-DAY filter and it fits into the iner lens on my AE 500 perfectly and the blacks are now much better.
    Best regards.
    John

9. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
  10. mooro1973

mooro1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165

How would you actually go about fitting that?

11. Aquila

Aquila
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I apologise for keeping this thread off-topic but I'm interested in buying a HOYA filter for my AE700. Which one would you recommend for the AE700? I'm all new at filters. Thanks for any tips.

12. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :suicide: Sorry people I don't know how you can say 'just buy a filter for an ae100' as there is no comparison between the ae100 and the ae700. My friend had a filter for an ae100 and I thought it was like putting a sports exhaust on a 1.1 fiesta. I don't want to sound snobby or offend people but in my opinion the ae100&200 were not in the same league as the 500/700.The Ae100 has a poor resolution, the contrast ratio is v.poor, the black levels should be refered to as the grey levels, and the worst feature must be the lumen output.In my honest opinion I would rather watch a film on a 32" TV than a ae100 with a filter. The overall picture quality on the 500/700 is so much more solid, and the black levels on the 700 are much more detailed and deep. Sorry if I've offended any ae100 owners out there,(not my intention), but it's my opinion on the Panasonic PJ range!

13. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Mooro1973.
    Simple realy, just take the filter and carefully place it into the lens and it will stop when it reaches the point where it cant go any deeper the carefully turn the lens about a quarter turn and hey presto its in place. Thats using the 52mm FLDAY lens on my AE 500E it also alows you to use the lens filter and can be removed for cleaning

14. mooro1973

mooro1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165

Ta!Is there a really noticeable difference then???

15. SCo4

SCo4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and cine super 8 films are not in the same league as DVD :rolleyes:

16. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    Can these filters be used with component, as what I have read is they need VGA to change the RGB settings.

Also, will a 55mm Hoya FL-W filter do for the AE100? All the stuff I have read doesn't mention a W in the name.

I really like the look of the AE500 and AE700 but, the AE100 will do me for sometime yet.

17. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Mooro1973
    I have noticed a difference yes, but you have to change the setings slightly and its all down to personel preference I just had a play about with the colour setings and when it looked better to not only me but the rest of the family I stored the settings in memory and kept it that way. Hope that helps.
    Best regards.
    John

18. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    nwgarrett
    I don't know about component maybe someone else will enlighten you on that one, but I did a search regarding the flw filter and heres it is.
    FLW 046 / FLD 036

Designed to eliminate the greenish color that florescent tubes and mercury vapor lights cast on color film (I've seldom used mine for that). Because this filter is magenta in hue, I use my Cokin 036 for exaggerating or enhancing similar hues in a sunrise or sunset, a landscape or in the northern lights.

An FL-D filter is used when you wish to correct for the greenish tone that appears when shooting daylight film under general purpose fluorescent lighting. An FL-W filter is used to balance daylight film under warm white or white type fluorescent lamps. An FL-B filter is used to correct the color balance when shooting tungsten film under fluorescent lighting.
    NOTE: The FL series of filters alone does not always guarantee 100% correct color balance when shooting under fluorescent lighting. They are general purpose filters intended for moderate correction and will not, by themselves, necessarily provide perfect color rendition. Fluorescent lamps burn at many different temperatures and often require more demanding filtration for exact results. For specific filtration and professional use, it is strongly recommended that a color temperature meter be employed along with Color Correction filters (i.e.CC30M) when shooting under fluorescent lighting. This is the only proven way to achieve exact color correction

Not sure if that helps in any way? (probably not, it didn't explain anything to me unless I am reading it wrong :(. )
    Regards
    John

19. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    Thanks. I wonder how they would work when I only watch films in the dark so the lights are not on.

20. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    VB is not an issue on a properly working 700!! There is NO VB ON A PROPERLY WORKING AE700!! AAARRRGGGHHH!! HOW MANY MORE TIMES!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Sorry for the rant. My mate had a 500 with a bit of VB (hard to find though!). I have no VB AT ALL on my 700! As far as HDMI connectivety goes though I've read the same problem as stated above, and that's why I opted for a vga 10m cable from Farnell's. On the filter side - don't you think a filter knocks the light output down though?