1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE500 goes snap, crackle, pop - but a home repair sorts it

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rogeralpine, Jan 19, 2005.

1. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not my week for faults developing on projectors, what with my son's PJ going belly up for the 4th time (see separate thread) and now my unit going bang, not a good start to the new year!!

I have used my pj very little over the last 6 months - a couple of times per week at most (Nothing really over the last 3 months). It is packed away after use, which means unplugging the power lead each time. This is where the problem developed as it turns out there is a serious weakness in the machine's design.

I don't know if other AE500 users have experienced similar problems, but from day one I noticed that the power lead was very difficult to remove from the machine. I was concerned that in order to remove it I would have to "wiggle" the lead back and forth to extract it which was obviously putting strain on the plug at the rear of the machine.

I spotted a while back that this plug was quite loose and as such I was always extremely careful when removing the power lead. On Monday night though the unit crackled and popped several times - fortunately just after powering it up so the bulb was not hot - and when I moved the power lead this exacerbated the problem. After a bit of fiddling the unit switched off and refused to then power up. Obviously the problem was related to the plug at the rear of the machine so I had to make a decision - have a look myself or arrange for the unit to be repaired.

I decided on the former as I was certain the problem was with the power plug becoming loose at the back of the machine. Half an hour later I'd removed enough components to reveal the plug on the inside of the machine and sure enough it was wobbling around like a loose tooth. I quickly spotted that one of the connectors had broken away from the circuit board which was thus preventing the machine getting power. Out came the soldering iron and after a lengthly session strengthening the solder connectors to the board, the plug was back in place.

After I re-assembled the unit I am pleased to say it fired up no problem and it ran for several hours last night with no sign of a snap, crackle or a pop. I now only insert the power lead just enough for it to be secure in the plug, but not enough for it to be too difficult to remove once I have finished. Hopefully this will have cured the problem - I took the time to strengthen the solder connections so much so I am 100% certain that it is much stronger than when the machine first came off the production line. I know most users leave their machines connected permanently - obviously this won't be an issue for you - but any users who, like myself, regularly pack away their machines after use, could be faced with a similar problem. I wouldn't recommend that everyone follows my lead and attempts a repair if they were faced with a similar problem, but if you feel quite confident with your soldering skills then this is not a task that would seriously tax your ability. Just take your time and as with every soldering job, take extreme care.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Your family do seem to be suffering with projectors at the moment. :eek:

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Why not rig yourself up a 'dongle' and use an inline IEC plug/socket arrangement thus bypassing the need to ever unplug the (cloverleaf ?) plug from the pj at all ?

Mike.

4. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....mine going bang was the final straw - hence the reason why I decided to have a look myself. My son's machine is kept permanently connected so I know his problem is not the same as mine. Also, I didn't fancy messing with his machine as I would obviously have to fork out if anything went wrong.

I have had similar problems with other pieces of electrical kit in the past - I was quite pleased with myself when I managed to fix a Game Gear that also had a faulty power connector which had come partially away frrom the circuit board. I could tell this was a similar problem with my AE500 - and in any case, opening it up to have a look wasn't going to do any harm.

5. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

What a fantastic idea Mike - sometimes the most simple solutions are the best. Maplins? :smashin:

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sounds like a very poor design to me, if the plug can place a strain on the PCB :thumbsdow

7. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The effort required to remove the power lead is quite unbelievable. Whether my unit is a one off I don't know - I doubt it tbh, these are standard parts across the product range and as such I would reckon similar faults would have/will develop on other machines.

I had an AE100 before the 500 and the power lead and connecting plug/socket were of the same design. I didn't have the same problem with the 100 though - I noticed it immediately I tried to remove the power lead on the 500, hence I was cautious from the off when taking the lead out. Basically the power lead grips the three connectors in the plug too hard - the diameter of the three holes in the power lead could do with being a bit larger IMHO.

The plug socket itself is poorly connected to the PCB as well. Two flimsy plastic grips hold the plug onto the board at the front edge of the socket and soldered thin wire strips - these feed the machine with power - are soldered on at the other edge. There is just too much play between the plastic grips and the PCB hence the soldered wire strips are taking a substantial portion of the load as the power lead is moved in and out.

I've strengthened the socket on my board, but that isn't going to stop me being over cautious. Flimber's suggestion sounds just the ticket.

8. RLT

RLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just happened to mine
    Off to repair shop

9. danburbridge

danburbridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i must admit mine is a little tight
    (the power socket....) - will be more careful when unplugging it in future - cheers for the heads up.

10. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....certainly a bad design fault - I've still not sorted a dongle as Mike suggested above! (must admit though, due to our 2 year old, I've had my PJ on less than a dozen times over the last 12 months)

Glad it's alerted you to the problem anyway Keyser!!

11. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,721
    2 year olds seem quite good at preventing a lot of movie viewing pleasure :) And don't get me started on where they can get yoghurt onto..
    but I wouldn't be without mine :smashin:

Dave

12. RLT

RLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Got AE500 back this week after wait for spares for replacement AC socket, which wasn't just in need of a resolder as first thought.
    One of the pins on the AC socket attached to the board had actually snapped !
    Glad it didn't happen mid film when the blub was good and hot. That might had proved expensive.
    Always been careful when removing power cord, so hope the replacement socket is made of sterner stuff.
    Anyone else had this problem ?

13. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...that was the problem with mine - one of the pins leading to the PCB from the power socket had snapped - rightly or wrongly I elected to solder it back together. It's been fine since, although I don't use the PJ that much tbh! (Still not got round to sorting a dongle though which is :suicide: )

14. pierrev

pierrev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am still waiting for a replacement AC socket to arrive at the service engineer who's repairing mine - eta to Panasonic was 2 weeks at least - once I get it back I am going to turn the spare mains cable (the 2 pin one) into an 8 inch 'dongle' using an IEC plug (Maplins code FT64U) - and then plug and unplug into that instead of the projector itself - as suggested above - I am just annoyed (having read about this problem ages ago) that I didnt do it sooner

with the best will in the world its very difficult to guarantee that it wont work loose again if, like me, you set the projector up each time you use it

seems to me that Panasonic Spares Dept. dont keep many spares in for PJ's

15. RLT

RLT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Panasonic Spares 01344-860133 had 6 ac sockets coming in 24th. Sept.
    one was already taken, presumably my repair as shop received part on morning of Tues 27th. and fixed projector straight away.
    Cost £54 inc vat.
    Interesting that Panasonic quoted me £20.16 if I purchased the part from them.
    However, repair shop price was only £6.50 + vat Must get a discount by being a trader and having an account.

16. neil240z

neil240z

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    my AE500 is permantely fixed to the ceiling with the power cable connected so it doesnt have to be removed to often so had no problems with the power connections though will defo be careful there though i have had a problem with the colour, I am getting a lot of pink bleedover in the image, not sure if the its the LCD or something else, any ideas?

regards

Neil