1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE500 Component DCI question?!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Argento, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently using component connections to my projector. I understand that the DCI socket would give me a far better picture.....

Is there such a lead that would convert one to the other, and is there that big a difference in quality - plus, can you still handle prog scan this way.

My player is a Toshiba SD520

2. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    The "DVI" connection is an all-digital transfer, whereas component requires and additional digital to analogue conversion. There are converters out there, but its my opinion that any benefits of DVI are lost as you are converting back to analogue, and using an extra piece of equipment (the adaptor) in the process. DVI does support prog scan. For a not-so-expensive DVI DVD player have a look at the Samsung - it not only has this connection but will upconvert to 720p and 1080i.
    MArkie Boy

3. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Markie - but which Samsung might that be....

Rich

4. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    If I recall its the DVD-HD935 (anyone?) as the model numbers for this machine vary round the world (the last digt varies rather).
    Markie Boy