1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE500 and Room light levels

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by b6b6, Feb 1, 2004.

1. b6b6

b6b6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone who has an AE500 tell me what the picture is like under different room light conditions?

What I am trying to say is how dark does the room need to get an acceptable picture?

I looking to buy either an AE500 or Epson TW200. I prefer the Panasonic but am concerned that it wont be bright enough for under general living room conditions.

Any advice Please.
    :)

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    "Acceptable" Is down to your own personal taste.

But as a rule, the less light reflected onto the screen the better.

If you don’t have dark walls to absorb the light bouncing off the screen you’ll seriously compromise your contrast and wash away all those black/semi black bits. Budget machines just don’t have the capacity to block out all the light to make a black look a true black and your screen is itching to put as much light in your face as possible no matter what the source.

So the simple answer is, if you’re thinking of using any lights in your room no matter how small, don't.

3. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    with light leakage switch to high contrast mode on the picture settings on the handset. This helps a little.
    I have thick curtains to mask out the light but it wasn't enough, so I created sheets of blackout material on simple frames that match the size of the windows that attach to removeable rubber plunger type hooks and hey presto - nice dark room :)

Cheers

Chris

4. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO a perfectly dark room is absolute must for ANY projector regardless of how high light output is on a given model.

Why?

Because your blacks will only be as dark as the ambient light around it allows. The darker the room the higher your constrast ratio and image 'punch'.

5. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Do you happen to have any pictures?

6. b6b6

b6b6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everybody. I have decided to wait for the TW200 and get my curtains lined.

7. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    A wise move. IMO any ambient light ruins the whole cinematic effect.

I have blackout roller blinds behind my wooden blinds. They work well but now I've had the PJ a while and the initial wow factor has lessened I need to run the edges of the blackouts in channels to stop daylight fully on bright days.

8. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I will try to get pictures but my brother has just gone to America with our digital camera :)
    Cheers

Chris

9. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That would be great. We will hopefully be having an extension built and I'm thinking about buying an AE500 to go in there. The room needs to allow for use as a bedroom as well so I want to put curtains in rather than blinds. So I'm thinking of using lined curtains.

The main worry for me is doing the drilling and mounting of screen. Attaching a ceiling mount seems too scary. I have thoughts of the ceiling collapsing or projector falling on someone's head. Anyone know av people in the Warwickshire area that would fit this. The nearby shops seem to have some low/higher end DLPs, but not pannys though I may look at someone like NexNix. Anyone know good vendors in Warwickshire that would supply AE500 with dead pixel check (I know there is sevenoakes in Birmingham [might be out of their delivery range], also Richer Sounds in Coventry [they don't do the pannys I think] ).

10. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Get a gyrolok one. I used special plaster screws from B&Q (heavy duty) drill the hole, size 6 drill, then push the casing in. Then position the mount and drill it all in...if its coming down, then so is the cieling...very safe.
    My screen is electric, so when its up you don't really notice it.
    If you do line the curtains be aware that if you hang them from a curtain pole there will be light leakage from the top gap.
    This is why I made blackout frames for the windows that can be stored behind the sofa when not in use.
    Good luck with it. Hope you find somewhere to demo it, that is the best way to do it as you can check before you buy.

Ta

Chris