AE500 & 55mm Hoya FLD filter

sean.pittaway

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just a quick post...

I thought i might have a go at tweeking my Ae500 and give a filter a go (a mate uses one on his ae300, not sure if it makes the picy better or worse so i might as well try it on mine and see).

Did a quick search on here so i wanted to check what i am after :)

Its a "55mm Hoya FLD filter" correct?

Also, wheres a good place to order one from?

Cheers for the help, Sean.

sean.pittaway said:
Its a "55mm Hoya FLD filter" correct?
Also, wheres a good place to order one from?
Cheers for the help, Sean.

Hoya FLD :thumbsup:

Both a 52mm & 55mm will fit the 500. The 52 fits the inner thread and the 55mm fits the outer thread.
you could try www.jessops.co.uk for the filter that's where i got mine.
Don't forget to recalibrate your pj after you fit it

What is the use of this filter anyway ?

For Colour correction ? Or does it improve BLACKS as well ?

SamirP said:
Hoya FLD :thumbsup:

Both a 52mm & 55mm will fit the 500. The 52 fits the inner thread and the 55mm fits the outer thread.

Which of the two sizes did you get? I remember reading that the 52mm is a bit of a squeze and that the 55mm is a bit loose so needs to be taped on?

kilobulb said:
Which of the two sizes did you get? I remember reading that the 52mm is a bit of a squeze and that the 55mm is a bit loose so needs to be taped on?

I use a 52mm, but it's just the same one I used to on my AE100. It's a perfect fit on the inner thread (No tape here ;) ) and you can still use the lens cap.

Fjorko said:
What is the use of this filter anyway ?

For Colour correction ? Or does it improve BLACKS as well ?

I use the FLD on my AE500 to help improve the contrast :) and I also used it to help correct the green tinge you get with the AE100

Yep, I have a 55mm Hoya ND2 filter fitted to my AE500. Threads right in, not loose at all.
Cheers, Rob. :smashin:

HOYFLD55
HOYFLD52
Are these the right ones?

hmm not sure if i can be patient enough to wait for the 52 might have to get the 55 and invest in some tape :).

EDIT: ND2? is this a different filter?

Yeh a ND2 is a neutral density filter that subdues intense light without affecting the colour balance which the FLD will. I've tried both and the colour balance on my AE500 is spot on, so I kept the ND filter. Also ND filters are available in different 'strengths' which allows more precise tweaking. Even my mates Infocus 5700 (DLP) showed a marked improvement in black levels with a ND2 filter. I was lucky to have a local camera shop that allowed me to return the filters I didn't want.
Cheers, Rob. :thumbsup:

homeagain said:
Yeh a ND2 is a neutral density filter that subdues intense light without affecting the colour balance which the FLD will. I've tried both and the colour balance on my AE500 is spot on, so I kept the ND filter.

Cheers Rob looks like I might have to try the ND2 filter aswell :thumbsup:

You're welcome, mate. :smashin:

I've got an FL-D on order for my AE500, but I've ordered a 67mm one: The outermost thread (is it a thread? I hope so) seems to be that diameter.

Secondly, the reason I ordered one is because I've read about their benefits in places like this. What I'm wondering though, is why Panasonic didn't coat its lenses with similar material in the first place? Is it because the FL-D works best in very well light-controlled rooms, whereas Panasonic anticipates most users running the machine in less than ideal conditions? That's the only explanation I can think of because, let's face it, Panasonic's engineers must be vastly more knowledgeable than us armchair enthusiasts, and would have surely been quite capable of coming up with this seemingly simple tweak themselves. Any views on this?

I think it's just a matter of cost. The Yamaha 510, which uses the same D4 panels, has a colour correction filter built into the lens assembly but look how much you've got to pay for that projector !
Rob. :eek:

You could be right, Rob, but I'd have thought the extra cost to Panasonic of coating a lens would be negligible. I think what I'm getting at is whether this tweak really is effective, or rather: under what conditions can it be effective? Opinion seems to be divided on whether the FL-D filter improves the picture or makes it worse; I guess I'll find out soon enough what I think.

Anyone got any comments on the suitability of a 67mm filter? (I seem to be alone in opting for this size.)

Originally Posted by SamirP
Hoya FLD

What settings do we set the PT500 to in Picture Menu once Hoya filter fited for best results.

Are we just adjusting the picture colour menu or are we to change settings in the advanced menu.

:confused:

To properly correct the colour balance, you'll need a colorimiter, or a very good eye for grey and colour tints within it.

You have to alter the individual red green and blue contrast and brightness settings (gains and bias') whilst looking at grey bars like those found in Avia. The bars should be grey with no colour tints. If there is a tint, you'll need to adjust the colours to bring the grey bar back to grey.

It's not easy to do, but once the filter is added, you'll probably have to boost the green and/or blue to counteract the red. Make sure you make a note of all settings before changing anything.

Gary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom