Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AE300e picture settings after callibration. What are yours?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dekim, May 30, 2003.

1. Dekim

Dekim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello to all you fellow Ae300 users,

I have been fine tuning my shiny new projector using Avia and also I tried the setups mentioned in a faq somewhere about how to get better skin tones by altering the colour gamma settings and was surprised at the amout of detail you can lose compared to a CRT television.

I noticed this last night whilst watching Blade 2 which has a lot of night shots with plenty of shadow detail. I had my DVD player connected to the projector via component (progressive pal) and also connected to my Phillips 36" CRT via RGB scart. The 2 pictures looked completely different whilst they were side by side for a direct comparison. The TV looked a lot better. The colours were brighter and there was a lot of detail missing on the projector. I would go as far as to say that that the AE300 looked terrible as a direct comparison and appeared all washed out. I started to do some tweaking in the service menus by eye and found the results looked much better than using a callibration disc. Maybe its my inexperience using callibraton discs etc but what i'm trying to find out is what settings other people have after tweaking there own projector?

I am writing this from work so I dont have the settings at hand. I will post them tonight if anyone takes the time to reply to this thread.

Thanks to anyone willing to share their settings for us to try out

Deks

2. Dekim

Dekim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Forgot to mention. I had paused the film to get a beer and the picture I compared was a close up of the face of one of the hybrid vampires. On the CRT his face was leaning more towards flesh with a fair bit of orange in and looked very good. The whole of the projector image leant more towards a greenish tint and was much more lifeless. On the cRT picture his right ear was clearly visible in the shadow but on the projector image it was hardly visible in the shadow. I improved this a lot by raising the red gamma setting in the user section. I think I put contrast to +10 and raised the brightness from -1 to +1 but left the blue levels as per avia setup.

I'm a real amateur when it comes to things like this thats why im interested in trying other peoples settings.

Another thing to mention was the CRT in widescreen mode cut more of the picture off both to the left and right sides. I presume the geometry isnt set to optimum.

I would be interested if its possible to adjust the width on the projector too as there is still some cut off using the procector. I know this because when you pan the picture it reveals detail hidden at each side. Maybe about 4-5 cms of image each side.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Other peeps settings are not really of any benefit - too many variables.

Source, material, screen, environment etc...all contribute to each individuals settings.

Not really fair comparing an LCD with a CRT either - each have totally different traits/characteristics.

Best bet is to calibrate with Avia & accept the shadow detail/black level constraints of LCD.

Now, if your CRT was 100", then you'd have a fair comparison.

:smoke:

4. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all true I agree with Kramer :clap:

-- Jon

PS That's it I'm off to bed now ;)

5. Dekim

Dekim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Point taken, like I say i'm new to projectors. It is surprising how vastly different the picture can look with a little tweaking. I must admit the hardest thing for me to accept was the lack of black.

When I watch a film with black borders top and bottom. They look grey compared to the black border of the screen. I presume this is the same for all LCD projectors?

6. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It really is, black level is one of the main criticisms of LCD projectors. They cannot possibly compete with emissive displays like CRT for black level simply because the LCD is trying to block the light rather than just producing no light when black is required. This is why CRT projectors are much loved despite being the size of a small car and weighing 300lbs ;)

Interestingly though if you compare the picture from your projector with the one at the local multiplex, real projectors have the same issue - they have to block a very powerful lightsource to produce black, resolution aside I think you will be suprised how similar they are (and how grey the blacks are). That's one downside of projector ownership, you will never be able to enjoy a real cinema again (Ok I exaggerate but you will sit there picking holes in it :D).

As for improving black level with LCD's there are several things you can try :-

1. Essential - Total light control, any stray light onto the screen is going to kill the black levels, this includes light reflected off light coloured walls and ceilings.

2. Calibration - Well you're here already, it's a learning curve to get to grips with, but the best way is to fiddle with Avia and THX etc.

3. Use a filter - these can help a bit although I haven't seen many people using them with the AE300.

4. Remember to watch the film, not the projector ;) ;) ;)

-- Jon

7. Dekim

Dekim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the post gothmog,

I,ve had the Ae300e for nearly 2 weeks now and have watched a variety of movies. At first all I did was look at the grey borders etc and not at the film. I have to say now that I have settled down with the projector and understand its limitations I DO adore the big screen experience. I know that with more 'tweaking' I can improve the picture even more and will be doing this over the next few weeks.

I have noticed something else about watching the big screen instead of a TV. The sound is so much more immersive. The reason for this (in my case) is the fact you are sat further away from the speakers and this improves the sound stage enormously. Before I was pulling the sofa nearer to the TV and hence nearer to the home cinema speakers which didn't help acoustics.

Right I better get some work done

Deks