1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ae300 v HS10 v 12HT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mystex, Apr 17, 2003.

1. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm going to upgrade my SONY HS1 to one of the above projectors shortly, but I really can't decide which one to go for.

The factors involved:

1. AE300, £1600, good contrast and good reviews, but reliability issues with the AE100 puts me off aswell as the 960×540 pixels.

2. HS10, £2100, lower contrast levels, but higher res and I can use my existing SONY connector box that I use with the HS1. Probs I've heard are fan noise and lower contrast.

3. 12HT, £3000, highest contrast and res of 1,366×768, brilliant reviews. Probs, size and no DVI input.

My main question is whether the increase in resolution makes a big difference. I will only be playing disks thru a Pioneer DV747, so will I notice the difference, or are the resolutions above 960 x 540 only really for PC inputs?

any opinions greatly appreciated;)

2. WebLoader

WebLoader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and dont forget to add the Epson TW100/Yamaha LPX500, they give you pretty much everything that you are looking for with very few downsides.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yep, can add that you really should look at the TW100 (existing or new version) and of course there is the much touted Sony VW-13HT due out soon but will still most likley be a fairly large unit.

Whilst I may be a tad biased, as I now have one, the TW100 really will give you all you are likely looking for from your list above.

High Res widescreen panels
    More than enough brightness
    Excellent contrast (and I only have the 'puny' :D 600:1 version - believe me you would not know)
    Small
    Quiet
    DVI connection
    ...and a damned fine image.

If you can get yourself a viewing.

4. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    mystex, the new TW100H seems to be the best if you want to stretch the budget. Betw the HS10 and AE300 I'd say go for the AE300 unless you want the higher resolution (has superior blacks and shadow details). Of all the budget projectors, the AE300 appears to be the most reliable at this point (they learnt from the AE100) - this comment is based on feedback on all the forums.

5. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still stewing over which one, but I'm starting to go in favour of the AE300. Which ever one I go for I know I'll want to upgrade again in a couple of years, so I may aswell go for the cheapest one at present. The reviews of it seem extremely good and I'm hoping there is going to be a vast improvement in contrast and black levels over the HS1. The contrast ratio is double so thats good enough for me!

Anyone know the cheapest price online for the AE300, Krish are doing it for £1599, I've used them before and they are very good.

Looks like my HS1 will be appearing on ebay very soon!

6. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Also need to bear in mind the size of your room - I was all set to get an AE300 when I realised I had miscalculated the throw etc and bought a HS10 instead (then Messiah advertised his TW100 the next day.......doh!!)

Cheers
    Rob.