AE300 Tweaks

J

Julia

Good news:) : The hottest tweak right now probably is the one which reduces the scanline artifact from the service menu.

Here is how you do it:

--Enter menu and select "Options".
--With "OSD" highlighted (defalt), press and hold the Enter button on the remote. After a few seconds, you will be taken to the Service menu.
--Select "Flicker".
There are separate adjustments for RGB "Desk" and "Ceiling". All you do is use the remote to adjust the values to increase or decrease the amount of flicker in the test pattern. Just about everyone is reporting lowering the values and that the green screen doesn't completely clean up (most are going with flickering sides than a flickering center). Most are seeing the red to be the farthest off. Red and blue became completely flicker free.

It is wonderfully described in detail in the avsforum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=198865

I've just finished building my new HTPC, and I still need to buy a DVI cable. Can someone recommend me a good DVI cable to go with AE300?

Does anyone have the Powerstrip settings for DVI 1:1 pixel mapping?

Thanks,
Julia:D

Check out this link - just down the page is some DVI and resolution info. Also you could try www.videk.co.uk for the cable - i just bought a vga lead from them and they delivered it next day.

I'll give that new tweak a try, although as I hardly notice the motion artifact I'm not sure if it will improve things alot for me.

Doh, not with it today - here's the powerstrip settings link

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?[url]http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php?s=[/url]

EDIT - can't get link to work, so here's HBK757's post pasted:

-------------------------------------

VGA native (960x540):

PowerStrip timing parameters:
960x540=960,33,40,79,540,9,1,19,37750,1

Generic timing details for 960x540:
HFP=33 HSW=40 HBP=79 kHz=34 VFP=9 VSW=1 VBP=19 Hz=60

Linux modeline parameters:
"960x540" 37.750 960 993 1033 1112 540 549 550 569 +hsync +vsync

DVI (856x480):

PowerStrip timing parameters:
856x480=856,16,88,104,480,1,3,13,31828,3094

Generic timing details for 856x480:
HFP=16 HSW=88 HBP=104 kHz=30 VFP=1 VSW=3 VBP=13 Hz=60

Linux modeline parameters:
"856x480" 31.828 856 872 960 1064 480 481 484 497 -hsync -vsync

These timings are copied straight from Power Strip, so if you copy them into clipboard, you should be able to import them right back. The projector WILL accept 856x480; 848x480; 1280x720 through DVI-D. 960x540 has not yet been achieved through DVI-D, people are still working on the timings. If "Advanced Timings" is greyed out in Powerstrip, its because the hardware isn't compatable.

----------------------------------------------------

Hi Splinter.

Thanks for the info, hopefully I'll try the VGA settings tonight :).

I'm now waiting for my AE300 to arrive (since 9 o'clock this morning it is with the delivery courier and still has not arrived yet:( ).

Thanks,

Julia

No probs, good to know you've almost got it back - hopefully you get better luck this time round.

Still getting wierd ghosting on mine when used with VGa or component DVD player, although the same ghosting shows up on my computer monitor as well. Doesn't show on my 21" TV - can't work it out.

As stated in another post, you also want to throw away the supplied component cables and get a good set (I use AR cables). It makes a difference with picture sharpness, black level and shadow detail (IMO).

I'm a very happy bunny this time!:)

Wow!:eek: No dead pixels!:eek: :)

Last night we were astounded by the big improvement a good video card makes. I guess it was a night and day difference between an ancient 4MB card and the Radeon 9700. We've been blown away by the multitude of colours and the newly discovered details (such as the tiny red veins from Mike's eyes in Monster Inc. that we didn't notice before).

The VGA settings above did not fill the screen completely, so maybe they need some more tweaking....

To solve the return problem with the Customs in UK, I've emailed them a text copyed and pasted from PriceJapan web site, a text which describes their zero dead pixel policy and the warranty agreement. They just needed a proof that it was a returning unit in warranty. I was very glad that they were satisfied with that.:)

You guys feel free to "hijack " the thread and post all kinds of tweak improvements you've happily discovered;)

Julia

I watched Star Troopers tonight and was again astounded by the quality of this projector. I have not yet felt the need to use Avia to tweak the settings really (still factory defaults), especially after the new component cables.

Splinter,

I hope you'll manage to sort out that wierd ghosting problem.

Just as Xander says, the culprit might be the cables. Try a different type of cable maybe it makes a difference.
I'm using just an ordinary VGA cable to link my HTPC and there is no problem. Have you tried to link your computer to the projector?

Xander,

I watched last night "Seven Samurai" and it was wonderful. It's pretty impressive to see this quality for a black and white movie.

I'm so glad I returned my Toshiba SD900 DVD player and used the refund to build my new HTPC. For the same amount of money (£700), I have so much more flexibility and the image looks so good.

What values do you guys use for adjusting the flicker? I've used 71 for green and 72 for the rest.

Julia

I'm using a 10m component cable which I got for £40 - so that's not that great a quality - but this ghosting shoows up through my 5m VGA cable too and when played on the PC monitor direct from the internal dvd drive.

I'll try get a picture of it if I can work out how to screen grab and show you guys. But anyway congrats on the PJ Julia, was worth it in the end - although I'm not too happy they're doing insurance now! Typical...

Hi Splinter,

That ghosting problem must be a nuisance! The fact that it shows on the PC monitor as well, it makes me believe that it might not be the fault of the projector.

Do you get the same when you watch Sky or the TV through the projector? Maybe try with a simple composite cable to see if it makes any difference... It sounds so strange....

How are you getting on with your dead pixel? Is it still very annoying or have you managed to mask it somehow.... Sorry that you've not got it perfect this time...:( . I remember how anxious I've felt checking mine when I knew of your experience...

I still believe that the ghosting problem at least might be solved.
Show us some pictures....

Julia

Ghosting ... not read all of the thread but thought I'd mention I had a ghosting problem, that went away the minute I stopped using dual outputs from my graphics card. I was usung DVI for PC and VGA for the projector. Now I manually swap over the VGA lead from monitor to projector and get no ghosting.

I had a problem with ghosting on PC for a while last year and the culprit turned out to be a cheap VGA extension lead that had poor screening.

It's well worth spending a good amount on decent cabales.

Ok..finally got the pics uploadedm the first is a darkened version to exaggerate the effect and the second is the normal version. It's the R1 SE of Pulp Fiction - this appears on my region 2 discs as well. It's most obvious down the left hand side of Travolta.

http://www.angelfire.com/film/splinter0/pulp1.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/film/splinter0/pulp2.jpg

Haven't tried sky or TV yet mainly as the projector is intended for DVD use only but I haven't got the cables for it. I'll try the composite cable though - good idea.

I'm starting to get used to the dead pixel to be honest. Now that i've turned the AE300 upside down to ceiling mount it the pixel is now in the bottom half of the picture so it's no longer over people's faces - which is great. Had mixed results with masking it, still trying to find the perfect shade of yellow. Although so far I can't hide the blue spot during black scenes.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think of that ghosting, it's more like a hazey outline really. I don't think it's the cables as it shows up on component from the DVD player, 5m VGA cable to AE300 and a 1.5m VGA cable to monitor. The only constant in all of this is the DVD disc itself.

Looks like you'll need to right click the links and copy shortcut, then paste into the address bar in your browser.

Hi all, first post.

Splinters problem looks like excessive use of edge enhancement on that DVD. But I do not have a copy of Pulp Fiction, so I can only speculate.

I suppose you don't see the ghosting on your Windows desktop?

Welcome to the forum Supa. No ghosting on the desktop on the monitor or through the projector.

So everything seems to be pointing to the DVD itself but i can't believe all the DVDs look like this on other people's system. It's a regular thing I notice on my setup, saw it on Minority Report (R2) last night. Another scene I remember it on is when the LOTR title text comes up at the beginning of the movie - with the outline around the letters.

Thanks Splinter.

That's a bit weird, LOTR shouldn't have any (visible) edge enhancement. If we may go offtopic for a while, what's your system configuration? Are you using ffdshow with sharpness filter by any chance? Perhaps you could try using some other player or DirectShow filters, if that helps.

Terminator 2 UE (R1) is known for having really bad edge enhancement. If you have the disk, you could try to see if the halos are better or worse with it.

Btw, I have ordered an AE300 also :blush:

Well I did a search for ffdshow on my computer and it came up with nothing. Not really got into the HTPC thing yet apart from playing with powerstrip, so haven't messed with any filters.

Also haven't got T2 to test out, I'll see if I can try a composite cable later tonight - need to get hold of a long enough cable.

Very interesting link, thanks for that - it's exactly what i'm seeing. Interesting to see that sometimes PAL can be better for edge enhancement. I watched Seven SE (R2) last night and noticed hardly any of this halo effect. It looks like it varies with DVDs and is more obvious to spot when blown up to a 6-8ft picture or the high resolution of a computer display. Not sure why others don't notice it though, or why it's more obvious on my system.

Thanks for the help supa, and yeah i'm using a combination of WinDVD and PowerDVD

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom