1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE300 Problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by StAnToN, May 22, 2003.

1. StAnToN

StAnToN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    hi m8ys

i had an AE300 since they came out in japan and run up about just over 1000hrs on it,im having problems with white on it its coming up yellowey and greeny and two sort of like really yellow patches at the bottom of the screen on the left and right hand side ive got no idea what is causing this have any of you guys heard anything like this and what it might be?

thanks

StAnToN

2. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I might be wrong....but it sounds like either dust, or the issue i'm very concerned about, and which affects the AE100 for some reason......and that is HEAT SOAK !

The heat from the lamp has damaged the LCD Polarizers or panels ( the blue one especially )

I might be wrong though ! but the symptoms sounds farmiliar to what i've read in here before about the AE300

I too want to buy the AE300, but if HEATSOAK is a problem with the panasonic PJ's ....i have serious doubts if it's even worth buying a PJ only to have it permanently damaged after about 1000 hours on the clock

Cheers

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi StAnToN,

Sounds like heat damage to the optics, right enough. You got one of the first aE300s mentioned on the Forums, (from Japan iirc ?).

Over 1000 hrs in about 6 months...... have you been running it for extended periods - like 10 hrs at a time ? Has the filter been cleaned regularly ? Has it been running in a room where people smoke ? Has the room it's been running in been hot - like central heating on full through the winter ? I ask because of a recent post here about filter cleaning etc. and the longevity of PJs.....

All the best,

Sean G.

4. StAnToN

StAnToN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    hi theritz

yup one of the first AE300s from japan, i have run it for extended hours over 10 hours sometimes, but the filter has been cleaned regularly, it has been running where people smoke, but the projector has been running in a room with normal tempreture not a hot room.

is there anything i can about this or am i buggered so to say?

thanks

StAnToN

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    StAnToN,

Running a PJ in an environment where people smoke is a no-no - the filter in the PJ is designed to exclude dust, not smoke particles (which include tar) so there's a good chance that the optics of the PJ are covered in a fine film of nicotine/tar. Extended running probably doesn't help either.

I assume you're looking at having to send it back to Japan under it's warranty - you need to form a view as to how much that is likely to cost you and whether the warranty will be honoured if the insides are gummed up with nicotine - have a look at the manual for the PJ and see does it say anything about not running it where people smoke.

Sean G.

6. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That's nothing compared to what it does to your lungs :D

On a more serious note - things like this make me more confused as to what model to aim for when getting a projector.

7. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Me too....

But neither me or my wife smokes, and we'll probably watch 2 movies MAX at a time ( 4 hours ), an i hope that is short enough for the heat soak problem to NOT be an issue....

Or is it ?

Cheers
    :confused:

8. StAnToN

StAnToN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    will looks like im buggered dont really want the hassle of sending this back to japan any of you guys got a Sony HS10?

are they any good or better than the AE300???

gonna stop smoking completly in that room now ill just have to go outside for a quick fag!!!!

thanks

StAnToN

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    StAnToN,

Kramer is the HS10 (and most other things) guru, do a search on his HS10 posts, he'll prolly be along later to input his own 2p.

See ya,

Sean G.

10. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    STanTon,

The trip to Japan back and forth would cost you about £200 (that's how much it cost me when I've sent mine back as it had 2 dead pixels). Ask Kaneda for advice and he will sort you out, I'm sure.

Remember to ask the DHL people a special form to say that you are sending the Projector back to the parent country for repair under warranty and you are expecting it back. This is to avoid paying VAT when you get it back (bytheway, I haven't got my VAT bill yet, although I've bought mine in Nov last year :)(not that I'm complaining in any way...:):)).
    Your PJ is still under warranty, and it's not that much of a hussle.

I'd say send it back to be repaired, cheaper than buying a new projector...

All the Best,
    Julia

Edit: I have now almost a year since I've stopped smoking using the Allen Carr's method (the best success so far:))

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    How much more serious can you get? :eek:

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - 2 things.

I'm a smoker :( Regretfully haven't yet managed to "kick the habit" :(

Some day (soonish). Was off for 6 months at one stage - silly bugger I was to go back on the blighters :(

Enough frowning :)

OK - haven't seen an AE300 (yet), but the HS10 rocks :clap: OK, I'm biased here, but having now had a HS10 for nearly 6 months - I can't complain. That's saying something for me.

Blacks aren't black without a CC40R filter & some calibrating, it can tend to be a bit on the noisy side (again not a problem for me - now), but I still believe there's nothing this side of £4k to touch it.

AE300 gone wonky? Defo send it back. £200 round trip - grin & bear it - you've no choice IMO. If you've been happy with it this far & everything's installed/honky dory, get it sorted.

:smoke:

13. StAnToN

StAnToN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    hi kramer

i dont want to take the risk of sending it back and they wont fix it as it was my fault for smoking and running it for longer than maybe i should of.

ive got meself a HS10 on the way now anyways is there anything you think that might be handy knowing about the HS10 anything that i should do after getting it out of the box?

ill be running it mainly with a Denon 2800 mk2 but ive also got a quadscan elite i can use with it...

thanks

StAnToN

14. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Stanton, did you buy local this time or PJapan again? Just curious....

15. StAnToN

StAnToN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    buying local m8 not gonna buy from japan again!!!

thanks

StAnToN