1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ae300 or philips garbo

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by yamman, Apr 18, 2003.

1. yamman

yamman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,i am looking some advice on which pj to replace my tosh 42" projector tv.
    my room is only 10.5 ft long and i will be sitting 8.5 ft from screen.
    My local dealer recommends the philips garbo over the pany ae 300 but i feel with such a short room the pany would be a better choice (looking good balance between size of screen and picture quality).
    So, my questions are ...
    which would be a better choice and what size of screen would suit the room? (i will be looking for a fixed screen for better quality).
    p.s are these projectors easy to install for someone who knows the right end of a screwdriver to use?
    Any suggestions guys.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Both are good projectors but aimed at slightly different markets.

The Garbo (and Garbo Matchline) needs about 2 x screen width for the throw distance. ie, 7ft screen needs 14ft throw. The Panasonic uses a shorter throw lens, something like 1.5 x screen width.

Regards

3. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I saw a Garbo in a shop today (first time I've ever seen one) and I must say that I was quite impressed. It's not as popular as the Z1, AE300, AE200 and X1, but should actually be. It gave a very decent picture at around 2m wide. The blacks are probably better on the AE300 though.