1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AE300- Is the Scart RGB??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calibos, Mar 12, 2003.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just wondering if anybody knows whether the AE300's scart socket is RGB capable?

If it is, is it the same RGB that most of our dvd players and STB/Digiboxs output. (RGBs??)

If it is how do we get hold of 10m RGB scarts??:D :D

2. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calibos,

I have a 10m component to component (unused) cable should that be any use to you.

Did you upgrade :) to a HS10 or AE300?

Vex.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yes the scart is RGB so a simple scart-scart connection from your RGB device will be no problem.

All good cable suppliers/manufacturers will be able to get you a 10m scart lead!

4. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You want to check in your manual to be sure.

RGB from DVD players and VCR units is typically RGBs (R+G+B+composite sync).

RGB input into many projectors is actually RGB with sync on green.

This is different to RGBs. You need to be certain that the unit is not sync-on-green.

John

5. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I
    I know! Thats why I asked:D I don't actually have a Euro model AE300 atm (or a Yank or Jap one for that matter!)so I can't check the manual but if a few things pan out I may have one as soon as they go on sale in the UK/Ireland. It just strikes me as silly for panasonic to go to the trouble of putting a scart socket on the PJ specifically for the European market but not make it capable of accepting the type of RGB (ie RGBs) that most european equipment outputs. I googled AE300+Scart and found a german site which I ran through BabelFish. Though it was still pretty much gobbledegook, I think they may have been saying that it accepts computer RGB on the scart. Whats the hell is the point of that when the PJ has a VGA port anyway??

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Despite Panasonic's very eager salesman informing me at the tradeshow that the socket is RGBs, I figured I would double check anyway, especially since a quick browse of the pdf shows the horizontal scanning frequency for RGB starting at 30Khz and not the required 15.625Khz or whatever it is. (Although this may only be for an RGB PC signal and whoever wrote the document was getting a little confused )

Queue a reply from Panasonic technical who up until now have proved surprisingly helpful in quite a few matters:

:lesson: "In reply to your email this unit has a fully wired scart connect
    which can be used in RGB mode from sky digial unit or DVD player. Best
    regards Panasonic AV Technical."

So there you have it. All logic would suggest it is a fully wired scart, the salesman believed it to be fully wired, and now Panasonic's technical dept have confirmed it to be RGBs.

I don't think you should let this decide whether or not to buy one of these projectors though. Even if the scart was wired incorrectly, its a bonus feature in comparsion to all the other home-cinema projectors on the market and without it the AE300 would still be my choice of projector.

But if it's not RGBs, Panasonic are about to look very, very, very stupid. :suicide:

7. powlest

powlest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If it is RGBs then this is a very good Scart lead IMHO, not a very good picture of it mind ;)

8. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Liam,

Thanks a million mate! Thats great news if it pans out. Fingers crossed! I won't believe it till I see it working myself though:D Case in point: I ordered NTL digital here in Ireland and heard NTL were supplying a new 'cut-down' STB (Pace di300). Someone said it was composite only so I emailed NTL Ireland and even Pace themselves. They both emailed me back saying, "Yes Composite only:( ". When the installer arrived I asked him and he said,"yes it does do RGB" I didn't believe him till I connected the STB up to my RGB capable tv. It did do RGB!!:D So as I said I'll believe what I hear from tech support people when I see it!!:D

As you said its not going to affect my decision to upgrade to the AE300. Thats a given, but this will mean just one cable going to the PJ carrying all my signal types. (ie Composite, S-Video, RGB) and negating the need for 'lossy' signal down conversions (ie RGB to S-Video Convertors etc) I'll just buy one of these scart boxes to combine my different connections and output them on two scarts, one to the Portable tv I use as a monitor and one going to the PJ.

Again, this is excellent news, Thanks Liam!:D

Lucky I didn't open the 10m composite and S-Video leads I bought!! Hopefully I'll be swopping these for a 10 Fully wired Scart!!

9. Seb1

Seb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is great!

Now I will be able to connect my Xbox via the RGB Scart, my DVD player via component and my PC via the VGA socket...nice.

Less cable swopping etc :D

10. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think losing source switching via my receiver is a small price to pay for having a single cable run to the PJ and having both NTL Digital and Dvd in glorious RGB!:D

Course this is all moot if my whole 'broken AE100-AE300 upgrade' saga doesn't pan out:D

PS. Do Pal PS2's and gamecubes have RGB cables?? Imagine everything in RGB!!:D

11. Jan_Assembler

Jan_Assembler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes both Pal Gamecube and PS2 have RGB cables available.

Guess I also have to upgrade to AE300 in summer.

12. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    A Danish guy over at AVS just PM'd me and also confirmed that the scart is RGBs. He said he read a review of the AE300 in a German Home-Cineam Magazine. They tested it via RGB scart from a Digital STB and Dvd player. He didn't mention what they thought of the PQ via RGB though. I think I'll PM him back and ask him whether the mag just confirmed that it worked or if they compared RGB PQ via the scart with the S-Video, Component, Vga & Composite inputs PQ.